Tomatillo Cashew Flour Enchiladas:
One of our favorite Mexican dishes in our household are enchiladas! The nice thing about these is you can prep the meal ahead of time and just cook the day you are ready to eat. For this recipe I used my instant pot to create my salsa verde shredded chicken but you can make in your slow cooker as well.
Ingredients you will need:
- Trader Joes salsa verde salsa or Siete Foods NEW Green enchilada sauce
- Bonafide Provisions chicken bone broth (sub chicken or vegetable broth)
- Some tapioca flour to thicken up the sauce (optional not necessary)
Preparing the instant pot chicken:
I add all the ingredients to instant pot, close instant pot, seal valve, and set instant pot to manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Once it is done cooking I let the pressure release naturally (10-15 minutes). You will know once the pressure is released when you can open your instant pot. If you can’t open it just switch the valve to release any pressure that is left. Then with two forks I shred my chicken, set instant pot to sauté, and sauté for a few minutes.
**Tapioca flour can be added at this point if you want to thicken the sauce if using the trader Joes salsa. If using the Siete Foods green enchilada sauce no need for the tapioca flour to thicken.**
Assembling the enchiladas:
Now for the assembly part, grab your favorite grain free tortillas. I personally love Siete foods cashew flour or almond flour tortillas. But you can use whatever tortillas you prefer. I take some of my salsa verde chicken add to the center of my tortilla, and top with some cheese. Carefully roll them up, add to a baking dish with some salsa verde at the bottom of the dish.
Next top the enchiladas with some cheese, I used Rumiano pepper jack cheese that I buy at Sprouts, but you can use whatever cheese you prefer, or you can omit the cheese entirely. But let’s be honest here, what are enchiladas without the cheese?
Next you are going to add more of the salsa verde on top of the enchiladas. At this point you can add to the oven and bake, or you can wait the night you plan on eating. I like to have mine already baked so the night we have for dinner it is just a quick reheat. You will bake 350 for 20 minutes.
Once the enchiladas are done you are going to garnish with:
- Avocado chunks
- Cherry tomatoes
And don’t forget to make the Mexican cauliflower rice to go with them! This is an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love. Hope you all enjoy them!
Tomatillo cashew flour Enchiladas
- 8 Siete foods cashew or almond flour tortillas Substitute any type of tortillas
- 1 lb Tomatillo instant pot chicken see recipe below
- 1/2-1 cup pepper jack cheese Substitute any type of cheese
- 1/3 cup Trader Joe’s salsa verde salsa or Siete Foods green enchilada sauce
Instant pot Tomatillo chicken
- 1 lb Chicken breast
- 1/2 cup Bonafide provisions chicken bone broth
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour Optional
- 1 cup tomatilla salsa (trader joes or Siete Foods green enchilada sauce)
Instructions for enchiladas
- Add some tomatillo chicken to tortilla with some cheese
- Roll up and place in a baking dish
- Top with salsa verde and cheese
- Bake 350 for 20 minutes
- Top with cherry tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro
Instructions For salsa verde chicken:
- 1.Set all ingredients except tapioca flour to instant pot.
- Set to Manual High pressure for 10 minutes.
- Let pressure release on its on about 10-15 minutes.
- Open instant pot and Shred chicken with fork.
- to thicken sauce add tapioca flour (optional), set instant pot to sauté function, and cook a couple minutes stirring frequently.