Massaged kale salad:
If you have never tried having a massaged kale salad before it is time you try! Because the flavors are beyond amazing and there is not bitter taste to the kale after giving it a nice massage.
Why massage the kale?
I know you are probably thinking, what I have to massage my kale? And the answer is yes, if you want to take your kale salad to the next level. I love massaging my kale because it allows for the kale to be less bitter, helps break down the tough fibrous parts of the kale. And this helps aid in digesting the kale better, it is easier to chew, and just overall makes for a more tender salad.
What do I need to massage my kale?
Good quality olive oil, lemon juice, salt + pepper, and optional Manuka honey.
How do I massage the kale?
And this is the part that you show your food some TLC! Add the chopped kale to a large bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and Manuka honey (if using) and with your hands massage everything into the kale. And once the kale is nice and soft, darker shade of green, you know you have massaged it enough. I typically will massage for about 2-3 minutes. And any excess liquid you get I would strain to prevent the salad from getting soggy.
Ingredients to add to salad:
- Candied pecans
- Blueberries or blackberries
- Blueberry goat cheese or any type of cheese you like
But feel free to get creative and add other items to your salad based off what you have at home or the type of season.
Putting it all together:
Add the ingredients to the massaged kale, toss, and enjoy!
If you aren’t going to eat right away, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. And this salad will last 2-3 days when stored in the refrigerator. But don’t forget to strain any excess liquid to prevent sogginess.
Check out these other salad recipes:
Massaged Kale Summer Salad:
- 2 bags Organic chopped Tuscan Kale (about 6 cups) it will shrink once you massage so keep that in mind.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp Manuka honey substitute any type of honey you have
- 2 large lemons
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup candied pecans substitute any type of nut/seed
- 1/4 cup blueberry goat cheese substitute any type of cheese
- 1/3 cup diced strawberries
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- Add chopped kale to a large bowl
- Add the olive oil, juice of 2 lemons, Manuka honey, salt + pepper, and with your hands massage it all into the kale for about 2-3 minutes or until kale is nice and soft
- Drain any of the excess liquid to prevent salad from getting soggy
- Add in diced strawberries, blueberries, blueberry goat cheese, candied pecans, and toss