Air Fryer Roasted Tomato Soup:
Tis’ the season for all the cozy soups. And this air fryer roasted tomato soup is going to be one to add to your weeknight meal rotation. Because it is super easy to prep, delicious, and even your picky eaters will enjoy it.
What you’ll need for tomato soup:
- Jalapeño (can omit if you don’t want a little spice)
- Olive oil
- Ground pepper
- Parmesan rind (optional)
- Fresh basil
- Vegetable broth
What you’ll need for grilled cheese croutons:
- Bread of choice
- Ghee (substitute butter or dairy free butter)
- Cheese of choice (use dairy free cheese if dairy free)
Roasting the vegetables:
I decided to roast everything in my air fryer. Because it is super easy and it’s a set it and forgot type of prep. Add the tomatoes, roughly chopped onion, roughly chopped celery, garlic, jalapeño deseeded, olive oil, salt, ground pepper, and give it a good mix to coat everything. And air fry 400°F for 30-35 minutes, shaking half way. But if you don’t have an air fryer you can roast in your oven too. I have full details how to make in oven here.
Preparing the soup:
And once the vegetables are done roasting, let cool for 5-10 minutes. Peel the skins off if you’d like of the tomatoes. And carefully add everything to a high powered blender, along with the juices, and fresh basil. Blend until you get a smooth consistency. And transfer soup to a pot, along with vegetable broth, and parmesan rind. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
What do I serve it with?
Once the soup has simmered, remove the parmesan rind. I just think, you can’t do tomato soup without a grilled cheese. And I take mine to the next level, by doing grilled cheese croutons on top of my soup. You must try it! But you could also just do a grilled cheese sandwich if you didn’t want to do the croutons. And don’t forget the fresh basil on top.
How to make grilled cheese croutons:
Spread some ghee or butter to one side of two slices of bread. And add the buttered side down into a pan on medium heat. Add your cheese of choice on top of the bread. And place the other slice of bread on top, butter side facing up. Cook a few minutes on each side or until a nice golden brown color. And transfer to a cutting board and let rest for a few minutes. Slice into desired size croutons. And add on top of your soup.
Can I make this soup dairy free?
Yes, this soup can be made dairy free. Either eliminate adding the parmesan rind or use a dairy free parmesan rind for your soup. And for the grilled cheese, use your favorite dairy free butter, and cheese.
Can this soup be made gluten free?
Yes, this soup is easy to make gluten free. Just use your favorite gluten free bread for the grilled cheese. And if you aren’t making the grilled cheese croutons, the soup is already gluten free.
What if I want to make this vegan?
And if you want to make this soup vegan, just omit the parmesan rind, or use your favorite vegan parmesan rind. And be sure to use your favorite vegan cheese and butter for the grilled cheese.
Check out these other soups:
14 Nourishing, Cozy and Comforting Soups for Fall
Air Fryer Roasted Tomato Soup:
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 7 to matoes
- 1/2 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 small jalapeño deseeded you could omit if you don’t like spicy or do less
- 4-5 whole cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper to
- 3 celery stalks roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil + more for topping
- Optional: small parmesan rind
- Add tomatoes, onion, celery stalk, garlic, olive oil, salt + pepper to air fryer dish
- Add olive oil and mix to coat everything
- Air fry on 400°F for 30-35 minutes or bake on 400° for 40-45 minutes
- Once done if you’d like peel the tomato skins
- Carefully transfer everything to blender, including all the juices, and fresh basil, and blend it all up
- Transfer to a pot, add vegetable broth, parmesan rind, and simmer for 20-30 minutes
- Serve with homemade grilled cheese croutons and fresh basil