Instant Pot Tortilla Soup:
I love a good, hearty, nourishing tortilla soup. And this Instant pot tortilla soup is super easy to prepare, loaded with delicious flavors, and great for a prep ahead meal for the week.
Ingredients you will need:
- Skinless boneless chicken breast
- Chicken bone broth (substitute any broth you use)
- Diced green chilies
- Diced tomatoes
- Ghee or any type of oil you use
- Taco seasoning
- Bay leaves
- Tomato paste
- Optional add ins: diced jalapeño for an added kick, black beans, or corn
How to prepare in the Instant pot:
I set the instant pot to sauté function, add the ghee/oil, and warm for 1-2 minutes. And then I add the diced onions, chopped jalapeño, salt + pepper, and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring throughout to prevent burning. Next, I add in minced garlic, mix, and then add the chicken breasts, seasonings, mix up a bit, and sear the chicken a couple minutes each side. And then I add the bone broth, diced green chilies, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cilantro, juice of limes, and mix.
Lastly, I add the chopped zucchini and bay leaves. But I don’t stir the zucchini into the soup to help prevent it from getting over cooked and soggy, just keep it on top of everything. Turn off the sauté function, seal valve, and set to poultry function for 13 minutes. And once done either quick release the pressure or let pressure release naturally. And once done I carefully remove the chicken breast and with two forks shred the chicken, return to the pot, and mix.
How to prepare over stove top:
And don’t worry if you don’t have an instant pot you can still make this soup over stove top. The directions are the same, only instead of the instant pot, use a medium or large pot. Add the ghee/oil, warm, and then add in the onions, jalapeños, salt and pepper, and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Next, add in the minced garlic, mix until fragrant (be cautious not to burn). And then add the chicken breast with all the seasonings, mix, and sear a couple minutes each side. Add the chicken bone broth, diced green chilies, diced tomatoes, juice of limes, cilantro, and mix.
Lastly, add the chopped zucchini, bay leaves, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot, and cook on medium low heat for 15-20 minutes (you don’t want it to be boiling). Carefully remove the chicken breast, shred with two forks, and place back in the pot.
What to add to the soup?
And we can’t forget about all the fixings right? I like to add avocado, cilantro, cheese, and grain-free tortilla chips to my soup. But feel free to add whatever your heart desires to tailor the soup to your liking.
This soup makes for the perfect prep ahead meal for those busy work nights. I typically will make a big batch on Sunday and have stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. And the night I want to enjoy, I just add my serving to a pot, and reheat for 5-7 minutes or until warmed through.
Check out these other Instant pot soups:
Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Instant Pot Tortilla Soup:
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 6 whole garlic cloves minced
- 2 medium limes juiced
- 1 24 fl oz chicken bone broth Substitute any type of broth you use
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 small jalapeño deseeded optional if you like an extra kick
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini’s chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 Tbsp Ghee or any oil you use Substitute any type of oil you use
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Taco seasoning
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- Set instant pot to sauté function, add oil, and warm a couple minutes
- Add onions, diced jalapeño, salt + pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes
- Add minced garlic, mix, and sauté for a minute or so
- Add whole chicken breasts and seasonings, mix it up a bit, and sear chicken a couple minutes on each side
- Add the bone broth, green chilies, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cilantro, juice of limes, and mix
- Top with chopped zucchini (don’t mix)
- Turn off sauté function, close instant pot, seal valve, and set to poultry 13 minutes
- Once done let pressure release naturally (10-12 minutes)
- Remove chicken, add to cutting board, shred with two forks, and place back into instant pot
- Top with avocado chunks, grain-free chips, cilantro, and cheese