Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup:
One of my favorite comfort food meals growing up was chicken pot pies. I remember going to Marie Calendars on the weekends with my dad and grandma and ordering the biggest one they had! And since I was craving one, I thought why not make a soup version. But of course, make it with nourishing and real ingredients.
Ingredients you will need:
- Oil of your choice (if you can do dairy, I would recommend using Ghee)
- Chopped chicken breast
- Fresh sage
- Fresh thyme
- Chopped Yukon gold potatoes
- Turkey bone broth (substitute any type of broth you have)
- Coconut mylk (substitute any type of dairy-free mylk you use)
- Optional: Peas (omit if doing Whole30)
Want to make it vegetarian?
In place of using chicken feel free to use mushrooms or just the vegetables listed. And in place of the turkey bone broth use vegetable broth.
How to prepare in the Instant Pot:
I first set the Instant Pot to sauté function, add the oil, and warm (1 minute). And then I add the onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper to taste, and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring throughout. Next, I add 1 cup of the chopped cubed potatoes, minced garlic, fresh sage, fresh thyme, and chopped chicken, mix, and cook a couple minutes (just want to brown the chicken a bit). And lastly, I add the turkey bone broth, mix, and top with cauliflower, 3/4 cup of chopped potatoes (do not mix these in), close Instant Pot, seal valve, and set to manual high pressure for 6 minutes. Once it is done let the pressure release naturally.
How to prepare over stove top:
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, this soup can also be prepared over stove top. Add oil to pot and warm. Next, add in the carrots, onions, celery, salt and pepper, and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Add in the minced garlic, 1 cup chopped potatoes, sage, thyme, chopped chicken, and cook 2-3 minutes (just browning the chicken). And then add in the turkey bone broth, mix, top with cauliflower, 3/4 cup of potatoes, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes on a low heat.
Preparing the dairy-free creamy sauce:
Once the soup is done cooking, carefully open the pot, and with a ladle scoop out the cauliflower and potatoes that are on the top of the soup. And place in a high-powered blender along with ½ cup coconut mylk, and blend it all up until you reach your creamy consistency. Pour the creamy sauce back into the soup, mix, and enjoy!
What to add to soup:
Feel free to add your favorite biscuit, crackers, or bread to go along with this soup! And top with some fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley.
Use this soup for a filling to a pot pie:
And this soup is basically the filling to an actual pot pie. So grab your favorite crust, add the soup mixture to a pie dish, or any type of baking dish, top with your crust, bake, and enjoy as a pot pie!
Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1 Tbsp oil of choice
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 3/4 cups golden Yukon potatoes
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 2 large chicken breast chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp Fresh chopped sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package turkey bone broth
- 1/2 cup coconut mylk or any dairy-free mylk you use
- Set Instant Pot to sauté function, add oil, and warm
- Add onions, carrots, celery, salt and pepper to taste, and sauté for a few minutes
- Add minced garlic, 1 cup of diced potatoes, chopped chicken, and fresh herbs, cook for a couple minutes
- Add turkey bone broth and stir (if using peas add in now)
- Add the other cup of potatoes and cauliflower on top of mixture (don’t mix in)
- Close instant pot and set to manual high pressure for 8 minutes
- Once done let pressure release naturally
- With a ladle scoop out the potatoes and cauliflower sitting on top
- Add to blender with 1/2 cup coconut milk and blend up
- Pour into the instant pot, stir, and enjoy!