Flourless sweet potato pancakes:
These flourless sweet potato pancakes need to be added to your breakfast menu ASAP. I always have a stash of sweet potatoes at home. Because they really are such a universal starch to have on hand. And if you haven’t tried baking with them, its time for you to try it out! My favorite is Japanese sweet potatoes for baking.
Ingredients you will need:
- Steamed sweet potato ( I used Japanese sweet potato)
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Primal Palate gingersnap seasoning or substitute ginger spice
- Flaxseed meal
- Vanilla bean ghee or coconut oil
Steaming sweet potatoes:
I steamed my sweet potatoes in my instant pot, but you can steam them in a pot or even roast them. I added my trivet to the pot, added 1 cup of water, set to steam function, and cooked for 5 minutes. Once done I did quick release of pressure. And with a fork, immersion blender, or potato masher, mash up the sweet potatoes. Let cool completely before adding along to the wet ingredients.
Prepping the pancakes:
The preparation for these pancakes are simple. I add all my ingredients to a bowl, mix, and let the batter sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
Cooking the pancakes:
Since these pancakes are flourless, they are going to be very delicate. And so I would suggest not making them too big because it may be difficult to flip. Add vanilla bean ghee to a pan on medium low heat and warm (about 30 seconds). And then add about 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan. I add 2 at a time to small pan, to give them enough space to flip. And cooked about 2-3 minutes each side.
Feel free to add whatever toppings you prefer. I went with the classic, butter, and maple syrup combination.
How to store:
I like to store mine in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They also freeze really well so if you want double the batch and individually freeze them for another day. But if freezing, I would suggest individually wrapping each one, so it’s easier to pop in toaster to reheat.
Check out these other pancake recipes you might enjoy too:
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Pancakes
Lemon Blueberry Poppyseed Pancakes
Flourless Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 1 cup steamed sweet potato I used 2 large Japanese sweet potato
- 3 large pasture raised eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp gingersnap seasoning Substitute ginger spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp vanilla bean ghee Substitute coconut oil
- Steam sweet potato (I did mine in instant pot with water on steam function for 5 minutes, quick release pressure)
- Mix everything except ghee to a bowl
- Let batter sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes
- Heat pan with ghee
- Add about 1/4 cup of batter to pan and cook a 2-3 minutes each side
- Store in refrigerator or freezer in an airtight container