Air Fried Chicken Parmesan:
There is no denying it, my air fryer is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. And this air fried chicken parmesan is a must try if you have an air fryer. But don’t worry, if you don’t have an air fryer this can be also cooked in the oven, or pan fried with oil.
Ingredients you will need:
- Chicken breast
- Italian Nut Crumbs (substitute: regular bread crumbs, crackers, Italian bread crumbs, or almond meal)
- Arrowroot flour (substitute: tapioca flour, cornstarch, or all purpose flour)
- Tomato sauce of your choice
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt + pepper
- Avocado oil spray
How to prepare the chicken breast:
Depending on the thickness of your chicken breast, butterfly your chicken breast to create 4 pieces. And if they are still thick, use a meat tenderizer to create even thickness amongst each chicken breast.
Create your dredging stations by adding a whisked egg to one bowl, arrowroot flour to another, and lastly the Italian Nut Crumbs, salt + pepper to taste, and parmesan cheese to another bowl.
Coating chicken breast:
Rule of thumb when it comes to dredging, one hand use for dry mixture, and the other for wet. Because by doing this, you prevent the dry mixture from getting all lumpy, making it harder to coat the chicken evenly.
Start by coating your chicken breast in the arrowroot flour, then into the egg mixture, and lastly into the Nut crumbs. And add 2 chicken breast at a time to a greased air fryer pan ( I use avocado oil spray).
Cooking chicken in air fryer:
Cook your chicken breast on 400°F for 10 minutes, flipping half way through. And once done, top with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Baking in oven:
And if you don’t have an air fryer you can also bake in the oven. Cook time may vary depending on the thickness of your chicken. But I would bake 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until you reach internal temperature of 165°F. And then top with the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese and cook until the cheese is melted.
Another cooking option, is pan frying. Heat an oven safe pan with avocado oil on medium high heat. Add the chicken breast and cook about 5 minutes each side, or until you reach internal temperature of 165°F. And top with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, transfer to oven, and broil for a few minutes or until cheese is melted.
What do I serve it with?
I love having mine with zucchini noodles. But you can also serve with your favorite pasta, over a salad, or even slice it up and make a chicken parmesan sandwich. The possibilities are endless with different ways you can serve it up. And it makes for great leftovers!
Can I meal prep it ahead of time?
Yes, you can definitely meal prep it ahead of time. And the night you plan on enjoying either reheat in air fryer on a low temperature (250°F for 10-15 minutes) or until heated through. Or you can throw in convection oven on 300°F for 10-15 minutes.
Check out this Paleo version:
Paleo Chicken Parmesan Without the Parmesan
Air Fried Chicken Parmesan
- 2 chicken breast
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour or tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 cups Italian nut crumbs substitute: bread crumbs or almond meal + 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce of choice
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil spray
- If your chicken breast are super thick, carefully butterfly your chicken (you will end up with 4 pieces)
- If chicken breast are still super thick, cover chicken breast with saran wrap and with a meat tenderizer, create even thickness by pounding the chicken. This will help cook through evenly.
- Create dredging stations by adding egg to one bowl and whisking, arrowroot flour to another, and nut crumbs + parmesan cheese + salt and pepper to another
- Dip chicken breast into the arrowroot flour first
- Then dip into the egg mixture
- And lastly into the nut crumb + parmesan mixture
- Spray air fryer pan with avocado oil spray
- Add 2 coated chicken breast to greased air fryer dish (you will have to cook in two batches)
- Cook 400°F for 10 minutes flipping half way through
- Once done add tomato sauce to the top of each chicken breast
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top
- Cook an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is melted on 400°F
- Repeat with the additional 2 pieces of chicken breast
- Top with fresh cilantro, parmesan cheese, and enjoy!