I love any type of Italian food, pasta, lasagna, pizza, you name it! So when I have a craving for some good old Italian food, I like to get creative in the kitchen and recreate my favorites into a healthier version. This does not mean I don’t indulge and not eat the classics because I believe in enjoying all things in moderation. I was in the mood for lasagna but really didn’t want a heavy meal, so I created these eggplant rollups that hit the spot.
What you are going to need to create this recipe at home includes:
- Whole30 approved ground sausage (always check your ingredients because you would be surprised what contains sugar)
- Cauliflower rice
- Tomato sauce of your choosing
- Red pepper flakes
- Grilled eggplant
- Primal Palate Amore seasoning
- Optional: pesto
What you are going to do first is cook your stuffing mixture by heating a pan with avocado oil. Add your ground sausage with amore seasoning, cilantro, and cook for 5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add in your cauliflower rice with some salt and pepper, mix, and cook for a couple minutes. Once done set aside and prepare your grilled eggplant.
People are surprised to find out that I am not actually grilling my eggplant, I use a grill pan that I got for christmas a few years ago, and it has been best gift ever. Just heat your grill pan with some avocado oil and cook a couple minutes each side.
Add a thin layer of tomato sauce to your baking dish first. Grab one of your eggplants add some of the stuffing to each one, carefully roll it up, and add to your baking dish. Repeat until you run out of eggplant, you can save the leftover stuffing for another meal.
Top your eggplant rollups with tomato sauce, homemade pesto, basil, chili flakes, and bake 350 for 10-15 minutes.
- 1 eggplant cut into 1 inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb ground chicken sausage
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1 tbsp amore seasoning sub 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup Lucini italia Tuscan marinara tomato sauce sub any tomato sauce you would like
- Cut your eggplant in one inch thick slices and add to a grill pan and cook with oil for a couple minutes each side
- Cook your ground chicken sausage with amore seasoning, and cilantro for 5 minutes
- Add in cauliflower rice and cook for a couple minutes
- Add some tomato sauce to baking dish
- Add a scoop of the cauliflower + sausage mixture to eggplant and roll up
- Add to baking dish, top with tomato sauce, homemade pesto, and basil
- Bake 350 for 10-15 minutes