Sweet Potato Casserole:
Let’s be honest, what is Thanksgiving without a sweet potato casserole? Now I am not a fan of the traditional one’s, but what I am a fan of is this grain free, refined sugar free, homemade sweet potato casserole. I elevated this casserole by making my own pecan date crumble, and let me tell you, you are going to be OBSESSED with this casserole guaranteed.
Ingredients for Filling:
- Pasture raised Eggs
- Steamed sweet potatoes
- Full fat coconut milk
- Fourth and Heart Vanilla Madagascar ghee or Coconut oil (if dairy free)
- Maple Syrup
- Baking soda
- Primal Palate’s Pumpkin spice
- Optional: Flaxseed meal
Instant pot steamed sweet potatoes:
I first steam my peeled sweet potatoes in my instant pot. Because this is really the fastest way to steam, but you can also steam in a steamer basket. Add 1 cup of water to instant pot, add trivet into the pot, add roughly chopped sweet potatoes, and set to steam for 8-10 minutes. Once done quick release pressure and let cool completely. I personally do this step the night before so that they are nice and chilled.
Next you are going to prepare your pecan date crumble by using:
- Raw pecans
- Chopped medjool dates
- Almond flour
- Maple Syrup
- Fourth and Heart Vanilla Madagascar ghee or coconut oil (if dairy free)
- Pumpkin spice
- Ginger spice
Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse a couple times. Make sure to pulse versus process when using your food processor, there is a difference. Because if you process you will end up with pecan butter and not a crumble. The topping should be sticky to touch and resemble sand like consistency.
You are going to add your crumble on top of the sweet potato filling, cover with foil, and bake 350 for 30-35 minutes, removing foil with 5-8 minutes left to get topping crispy.
Meal prep in advance:
This can be prepared in advance so it is one less thing you have to prepare on Thanksgiving. It also freezes well, so you can prepare everything, cover and freeze. Then a day or two before Thanksgiving remove from the freezer, place in the refrigerator to defrost, and on Thanksgiving bake.
Sweet potato casserole
- 2 pasture raised eggs
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vanilla Madagascar ghee
- 3 cups steamed sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
Vanilla Madagascar Pecan Date Topping:
- 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 1 cup crushed pecans
- 3 chopped Medjool Dates
- 2-3 Tbsp Vanilla Madagascar Ghee sub coconut oil
- 1 tsp Primal Palate pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp Primal Palate ginger snap spice
Sweet Potato Filling:
- Steam your sweet potatoes in instant pot for 10 minutes on steam and do quick release of pressure.Or steam in a steamer basket if you don't have an instant pot
- With an immersion blender mash, let cool, and prep the rest of the ingredients in separate bowl.
- Add all ingredients to sweet potatoes and mix.
- Add to a baking dish sprayed with coconut oil.
Pecan Date Topping:
- Add all ingredients for topping to a food processor and pulse a couple time. Don't over process you want it to be chunky.If you don't have a food processor simply mix in a bowl
- Add to top of sweet potatoes, and bake 350 for 30-35 minutes.