No Marshmallow Rice Krispies:
I have yet to find a marshmallow that doesn’t contain a bunch of crappy ingredients in them so I decided to switch up the classic Rice Krispies treat into this version I call, Not you average Rice Krispies treat. They are gluten-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
In place of using marshmallows I used my homemade date caramel to bind these Rice Krispies. And to make the date caramel is super simple, only requires 5 ingredients, and can be meal prepped ahead of time.
Ingredients for date caramel:
- Soaked dates
- Cashew butter
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil
- Some filtered water or the reserved date water from soaking dates to thin out if too thick
- Optional: maple syrup
Making the date caramel:
Next, I added the ingredients to my food processor or a high powdered blender and processed for 30 seconds.
Making the Rice Krispies:
Once the date caramel is done, I added the date caramel to a bowl with the sprouted brown rice crisps, and mixed. And then added the Rice Krispies to an 8×8 baking dish lined with parchment paper, and pressed down with my hands to form an even layer.
Chocolate is never optional:
And lastly, I melted chocolate with some coconut oil on medium low heat, stirring until melted. Added the melted chocolate to the top of the rice Krispies and spread to create an even layer. Sprinkle some flaky salt on top if that is your jam and stick in the freezer for an hour. And with a sharp knife cut into squares and enjoy at room temperature.
How to store:
I like to store mine in the freezer but you can store in the refrigerator as well in an airtight container.
Not your average Rice Krispies treats
- 3 cups One Degree Organics sprouted brown rice crisps
- 1 1/2 cups date caramel filling see below
- 1-2 chocolate bars + 1 tsp coconut oil
- 6-8 large medjool dates soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup optional
- 2 Tbsp filtered water
Instructions for rice krispies
- Pulse date caramel ingredients in food processor for 30 seconds, fold in the brown rice crisp, mix, and add to a lined 8x8 baking dish. Press down with your hands to form an even layer
Instructions for chocolate layer
- Melt chocolate bar with cocont oil, spread on top of rice Krispies, and store in freezer for an hour. With a sharp knife Cut up and serve. Store in fridge for up to a week or freezer for longer.