We all know that I love remaking some of the not so healthy items into healthier remixes. This 5 ingredient date caramel is one of them! I personally hate the way store bought caramel taste, not to mention the nasty ingredients it has in it, and how sticky it is, leaving me having to pick it off my teeth.
So for years when I am craving caramel, I turn to this 5 ingredients date caramel recipe. It’s a staple in my household and usually will have a small mason jar of it stored in my refrigerator, because you can add it to a variety of things.
Ingredients you will need:
- Medjool dates soaked over-night or at least 30 minutes in warm water
- Cashew Butter
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Maple Syrup (optional if you want it extra sweet)
- Optional if you want thinner consistency: filtered water or some of the date water from soaking dates
The steps to prepare this date caramel is super simple:
Prepare your date caramel by adding soaked medjool dates, cashew butter, coconut oil, vanilla extract, salt and optional maple syrup if using to a food processor. Process until you get a nice smooth consistency, about 30 seconds. And if you want it to be thinner consistency, add 1 Tbsp at a time of the reserved date water, process until you get desired consistency.
How to store:
I store mine in a small mason either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. If I plan on eating it within a couple days I store at room temperature. But if I want it to last longer I either store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Caramel apple dip:
I like to make a variety of recipes using this date caramel, but one of my favorites, caramel apple dip. Which I highly suggest you all try when you are having a craving for a good ole caramel apple. I hope you all enjoy this date caramel as much as I do.
Recipes using date caramel:
Vegan Brownies With Date Caramel Frosting
Not Your Average Rice Crispy Treat
5 Ingredient Vegan Date Caramel
- 1 cup soaked medjool dates I soak overnight and drain water (reserving water)
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil Not melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup Optional:l if you like it sweeter
- 1-2 Tbsp filtered water or reserved date water from soaking if you like your caramel thinner consistency OPTIONAL: Only use if you want thinner consitency
- Add all ingredients except the filtered water to food processor
- Process for about 25-30 seconds or until you reach your desired consistency, scraping down the sides throughout
- If you want thinner consistency add 1 Tbsp at a time of filtered water until you reach desired consistency
- Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks
- Or store in freezer for up to 6 months and when wanting to use let it defrost in refrigerator