Broccoli cheese soup:
It’s soup season, and this Instant pot broccoli cheese soup, is a great soup to add to your meal rotation this fall. And it makes for a great prep ahead meal option for those busy weeks!
Ingredients you will need:
- Ghee or any type of oil or butter (use dairy free butter if making it vegan)
- Ground mustard seed
- Chicken bone broth or any type of broth you have (use vegetable broth if making it vegan)
- Coconut cream (substitute: regular milk, heavy cream, dairy free mylk)
- Sharp cheddar cheese (substitute dairy free cheddar)
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: arrowroot flour, tapioca flour, or any flour to help thicken soup
How can I make this soup vegan?
Making this soup vegan is super simple. Instead of using ghee, use olive oil, avocado oil, or plant based butter. And in place of the chicken bone broth use vegetable broth. Lastly, use a plant based cheddar cheese for the soup and omit the bacon of course.
How to prepare soup in Instant Pot:
First, set the Instant pot to sauté function and melt the ghee. Add the diced onions, finely diced carrots, and salt and pepper. And sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Next, add minced garlic, seasoning, and sauté for a minute, mixing throughout. And add the broth, broccoli, coconut cream, and mix. Add the cauliflower on top but don’t mix in, let it rest on top. Close the Instant pot, seal valve, and set to manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
And once the soup is done, quick release the pressure. Remove the cauliflower florets, some of the broth, and add to a blender. Blend it up, pour back into the soup, and mix. And if you like a thicker consistency for your soup, add arrowroot flour, and set instant pot to sauté function. And with a whisk, whisk throughout until all the clumps are gone, and the soup thickens up. Add the shredded cheddar cheese, mix, and serve. And of course, optional to top with cooked bacon. But I highly suggest this as a nice crunch factor to the soup.
Can I make this soup over stove top?
Yes, this soup can be prepared over stove top too. The instructions are similar to the Instant pot directions. But you bring to a boil, then cover pot, and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the broccoli and cauliflower are fork tender.
Can I prep this in advance?
Yes, this make for a great prep ahead meal option. And I personally love how it tastes after a couple days, the flavors get to marinate nicely. I would consume within 3-4 days of prepping it.
Does this soup freeze well?
This soup is great freezer friendly meal option. Once done preparing the soup, let it cool completely. And transfer to either Souper Cubes, a Stasher bag, or ziplock bag, and freeze for up to 6 months.
How to reheat:
And if you are reheating during thee week, simply add some soup to a small pot, and reheat until heated through on medium low heat. But if reheating frozen soup, I like to pull mine out oof the freezer, and let defrost in the refrigerator first, and then reheat.
Check out these other soup recipes:
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 Tbsp ghee substitute oil or butter
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 1 can coconut cream substitute heavy cream, milk, or dairy free mylk
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3 cups chicken bone broth substitute vegetable broth
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp tapioca or arrowroot flour this helps thicken up soup but you don’t have to use it
- Cooked bacon
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onions
- Set instant pot to sauté function, add ghee, and warm until melted
- Add onions, carrots, salt and pepper , and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring throughout
- Add minced garlic and seasoning, and sauté for 30 seconds or so
- Add broth, coconut cream, broccoli, and mix
- Top with the cauliflower (do not mix let it rest on top)
- Turn off sauté function, close instant pot, seal valve, and set to manual high pressure for 5 minutes
- Once done quick release pressure
- Remove the cauliflower and some of the broth and blend in blender, pour back into soup
- Add the tapioca flour and and set on sauté and with a whisk, whisk until the soup thickens (about 5 minutes)
- Turn off sauté function add shredded cheese, and mix until cheese is melted through
- Top with bacon and extra shredded cheese