Lemon chicken wild rice soup:
It’s soup season, and this Instant pot lemon chicken wild rice soup, is a great soup to add to your meal rotation this fall. And it makes for a great prep ahead meal option for those busy weeks!
Ingredients you will need:
- Ghee or any type of oil or butter (use dairy free butter if making it vegan)
- Lemon chicken breast or regular chicken breast (but if you want to keep it vegan/vegetarian omit)
- Chicken bone broth or any type of broth you have (use vegetable broth if making it vegan)
- Coconut cream or regular milk, heavy cream, dairy free mylk
- Wild rice
- Salt and pepper
- Bay leaves
How can I make this soup vegan?
Making this soup vegan is super simple. Instead of using ghee be sure to use olive oil, avocado oil, or plant based butter. And omit the chicken and stick to just the mushrooms. But I would add more mushrooms if omitting the chicken. And instead of the chicken bone broth, use vegetable broth. Stick to using coconut cream or your favorite plant based mylk option.
How to prepare soup in Instant Pot:
First, set the Instant pot to sauté function and melt the ghee. Add the diced onions, diced celery, and diced carrots, with salt and pepper. And sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Next, add minced garlic, dried rosemary, dried thyme, and sauté for a minute, mixing throughout. And add the whole chicken breast, chicken bone broth, coconut cream, wild rice, bay leaves, and mix. Close the Instant pot, seal valve, and set to soup function for 30 minutes.
And once the soup is done let the pressure release naturally (about 10-15 minutes). Remove the chicken breast and bay leaves from the pot. With two forks, shred the chicken breasts. And return the shredded chicken breast to Instant pot, add spinach, mix, and serve.
How to prepare over stove top:
Yes, this soup can be prepared over stove top too. The instructions are similar to the Instant pot directions. But you bring to a boil, then cover pot, and simmer for 30 minutes. And once done, shred the chicken, and return to the pot.
Can I prep this in advance?
Yes, this make for a great prep ahead meal option. And I personally love how it tastes after a couple days, the flavors get to marinate nicely. I would consume within 3-4 days of prepping it.
Does this soup freeze well?
This soup is great freezer friendly meal option. Once done preparing the soup, let it cool completely. And transfer to either Souper Cubes, a Stasher bag, or ziplock bag, and freeze for up to 6 months.
How to reheat:
And if you are reheating during thee week, simply add some soup to a small pot, and reheat until heated through on medium low heat. But if reheating frozen soup, I like to pull mine out oof the freezer, and let defrost in the refrigerator first, and then reheat.
Check out these other Instant pot soup recipes:
Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 2 Tbsp ghee Substitute oil or butter (use dairy free butter if making vegan)
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 2 lemon chicken breast Substitute regular chicken breast or omit if making it vegan
- 2 24 fl oz chicken bone broth Substitute vegetable broth if making it vegan
- 1 13.5 fl oz can coconut cream substitute heavy cream, milk, or dairy free mylk
- 1 cup wild rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms Add extra if omitting chicken
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 cups spinach
- Set instant pot to sauté function, add ghee, and warm for a minute or so
- Add diced onions, chopped celery, chopped carrots, salt + pepper, and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent
- Add minced garlic and seasonings, and sauté for 1 minute
- Add chicken breast, bone broth, coconut cream, rice, and mix
- Add bay leaves
- Close instant pot, seal valve, and set to soup function for 30 minutes
- Once done let pressure release naturally
- Take out chicken breast, shred chicken, and place back into pot
- Remove bay leaves, add spinach, and mix