Gluten free molten lava cakes:
Nothing says I love you more, than some homemade gluten free molten lava cakes! And it is such an easy dessert idea just in time for Valentine’s Day. But really, there doesn’t need to be a special occasion to enjoy these molten lava cakes.
Ingredients you will need:
- Almond flour
- Arrowroot flour
- Maple sugar
- Coconut oil
- Hu Kitchen Chocolate Gems
- Vanilla extract
- Eggs and Egg yolk
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
Do you have any substitutes for the flours?
And here are some suggestions for alternatives. If you don’t have arrowroot flour you could use tapioca flour, or cornstarch. But keep in mind if using corn starch your recipe will no longer be grain free. And for substitutes for almond flour, try tiger nut flour. But that’s the only other alternative I have tried.
What if I don’t have maple sugar?
I personally love maple sugar, if you haven’t tried it, I highly suggest. But if you don’t have it, don’t worry! Feel free to substitute any type of sugar you prefer using.
Can I make these without eggs?
I personally have not tried to make these cakes without eggs just yet. But stay tuned, I will try the next time I make for us. And if you do try please let me know over on Instagram.
Preparing the cake batter:
First start by melting the coconut oil and chocolate gem. And you can either melt in the microwave doing 30 second intervals until melted. Or you can melt in a small pot on low heat until melted. And set this aside while you prepare the rest and it allows the chocolate to cool a bit. Add eggs, egg yolk, vanilla extract, maple sugar, and whisk. And then slowly pour in the chocolate mix and whisk as you are pouring. And then add in the almond flour, arrowroot flour, salt, and mix.
Grease 6 inch ramekins with either coconut oil spray or ghee coconut oil (don’t use if dairy free). And divide the batter between the two ramekins. And for good measures, push in 5 extra chocolate gems in the middle of the cake and cover with batter. Bake 400°F for 10-12 minutes. And baking Less time (10 minutes) will give you more of a gooey center.
Once done baking:
And once the molten lava cakes are done baking, let rest for a minute or so. With a pairing knife, go around the side of the cake. And carefully flip the cake onto a serving plate.
The possibilities are endless for the type of topping you would like to add. But I went with some fresh organic raspberries, powdered sugar, and on the side a couple scoops of my favorite dairy free vanilla bean gelato.
Can I prep ahead of time?
For this dessert, you really want to serve it right away. Because if you don’t the gooey center will set. But you could prepare the cakes in advance and store in the refrigerator. And when you plan on baking, make sure to let the cakes come to room temperature, by removing from the refrigerator and letting it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Here are some other desserts to check out:
Molten Lava Cakes
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Hu Kitchen Chocolate Gems + 10 chocolate gems for stuffing in the middle substitute your favorite chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup maple sugar substitute your sugar of choosing
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot flour
- 3 Tbsp almond flour
- Fresh raspberries
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Melt your chocolate gems with the coconut oil and mix. 30 second intervals in microwave until melted) or melt over stove top on low heat until melted
- In a medium bowl whisk your eggs, egg yolk, maple sugar, vanilla extract, and mix
- Slowly pour chocolate mix into the egg mixture, and mix as you are pouring (make sure you melted chocolate is not too hot or else you will end up with scrambled eggs)
- Add in the flours, salt, and mix
- Grease 6 inch ramekins with coconut oil spray or ghee oil spray
- Divide the batter between the two ramekins
- And for good measures add about 5 chocolate gems into the middle of the cakes and cover with the batter
- Bake 400°F for 10-12 minutes (less time= a more gooey middle)
- Once done let rest for a minute or so, and with a pairing knife go around the cake, and serve immediately
- Carefully flip cake onto a serving plate
- Add raspberries, powdered sugar, and your favorite vanilla ice cream on the side