One of my favorite salad combinations is a loaded Cobb salad. Because you get a little bit of everything in every bite, making for a delicious, and satisfying dish.
Meal prep ingredients ahead of time:
I like to spend a few hours every Sunday meal prepping for the work week. Because it allows for one less thing to stress about during the work week. And since I prepped all the ingredients for this salad ahead of time, during during the week, I just assemble Cobb salad, and enjoy!
Ingredients you will need:
- Instant pot whole chicken sliced up ( store bought rotisserie chicken works too)
- Hard boiled eggs
- Cooked bacon
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onions
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Ranch or Caesar dressing
How to prepare Instant pot whole chicken:
I first start by adding 3 heaping Tbsp of ghee to Instant pot, set to sauté function, and warm ghee for a minute. I cleaned and dried my whole organic, pasture-raised chicken from Belcampo (use code: MHK10 for 10% off your order). I added salt + pepper all over chicken, and added to Instant pot breast side down, and seared chicken for 3-4 minutes. And carefully flipped and seared other side for 3-4 minutes.
Next, I removed the whole chicken, placed on a cutting board, seasoned with Primal Palate Meat and Potato seasoning (I suggest you have this in your pantry at all time), and added sliced lemon, onions into the cavity of the chicken. To the Instant pot I aded about 2 cups of bone broth, trivet, and placed the whole chicken on the trivet. And then I closed the Instant pot, sealed valve, set to poultry function for 18 minutes. And once done I let pressure release naturally.
Carefully open the Instant pot, transfer the cooked whole chicken to a cutting board, and let rest for about 10 minutes. And then slice it all up, add to an airtight container, and let cool completely before storing in refrigerator.
Rule of thumb for cooking chicken in Instant pot:
Cook 6 minutes per lb. For example, this whole chicken I got was almost 3 lbs. so I cooked for 18 minutes.
How to prep hard boiled eggs:
I like to add eggs to a pot filled with water, bring to a slow boil, and then simmer for 12 minutes. Once done, I drain the water, and place cooked eggs in an ice bath to stop them from cooking. And once cooled, I store in the refrigerator for the week. And when I am ready to use, I gently tap on counter to crack a bit, and run the egg under water as I peel the egg.
How to prep bacon:
I personally love baking my bacon. I will add bacon to a lined baking dish (I use parchment paper) and bake 400 F for 20-30 minutes, flipping half way through. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of your bacon. And I would recommend keeping an eye out on it because nobody likes burnt bacon.
Assembling the salad:
I start with my base, which is chopped romaine lettuce. And then I add in all the topping: cooked chicken, hard boiled eggs, cooked bacon, cherry tomatoes, crumbled blue cheese, cilantro, and red onion slices. And when I am assembling the salad, I like to have equal parts of each item on both sides. Because when dividing up the salad everyone will get a little bit of each topping.
What to dress salad with?
I personally love dressing my Cobb salad with Primal Kitchen Foods Ranch dressing or Caesar dressing. But feel free to you whatever type of dressing you prefer on your Cobb salad.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken:
- 1 2.8 lb. whole organic pasture-raised chicken
- 3 heaping Tbsp ghee or any oil you use
- 2 Tbsp Primal Palate meat + potato seasoning
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 heaping Tbsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon chopped
- 1/4 of a small onion chopped
- 2 cups bone broth
- Wash and pat dry chicken
- Generously season chicken with salt and pepper
- Set instant pot to sauté function and add ghee
- Once ghee is warmed (30 seconds-1 minute)
- Add whole chicken, breast side down, and brown 3-4 minutes
- Carefully flip and brown 3-4 minutes
- Carefully take whole chicken out and place on board
- Season with garlic powder, meat and potato seasoning, stuff cavity of chicken with sliced lemon and onions
- Add bone broth to instant pot, trivet, and carefully place whole chicken on trivet
- Close instant pot, seal valve, set to poultry, and cook 18 minutes (you want to cook 6 minutes per lb.)
- Once done let pressure release naturally
- Carefully remove chicken and let it rest for 10 minutes or so before slicing up
- 7 ounces organic romaine hearts chopped
- 2 large hard boiled eggs
- 3 slices chopped cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup diced red onions
- 8 ounces diced homemade Instant pot whole chicken Substitute rotisserire chicken
- 1/2 small avocado sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 Tbsp dressing of your choice I love using Ranch or Caeser dressing (Primal Kitchen Foods is my favorite brand)
- Add chopped romaine hearts
- Add toppings (dividing up each topping to each half of the salad so its easy to divide up and serve)
- Top with your favorite dressing