Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash:
This sausage and apple stuffed acorn squash is a taste of fall in your mouth! And what I love about this meal is that is makes for the perfect prep ahead meal to have ready to go after work.
Here is what you will need:
- Mild Italian chicken sausage or turkey sausage. But feel free to use whatever type of meat you prefer. And a vegetarian option can be made by using sautéed mushrooms and cooked quinoa.
- 2 acorn squash’s cut in half and the seeds removed or any type of squash you dig
- Diced apples
- Red onion
- Fresh Sage
- Fourth and Heart California garlic ghee (substitute avocado oil or coconut oil)
Roasting the squash:
The first thing I do is cut my acorn squash in half, remove the seeds, and bake 425 F for 30-35 minutes. I prefer to keep mine plain when roasting but feel free to add some oil, salt and pepper when roasting.
Preparing the stuffing:
And for the stuffing, add the ghee to pan and warm. Next, add the onions, celery, sage, salt + pepper, apples, and sauté for 5-7 minutes. And lastly, add the sausage, cilantro, and cook for 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink.
Stuffing the squash:
And once everything is done, add the stuffing mixture to the roasted acorn squash, and bake 400 F for 10 minutes. Once done top with fresh pomegranate seeds and more chopped sage.
Meal prep ahead of time:
I love to meal prep these ahead of time. And during the week after work, I simply add to the oven and bake to warm through.
How to store:
I store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. And the night I want to enjoy, I add to a lined baking dish, and bake 400 F for 10-15 minutes.
Check out these other fall inspired meals:
Stuffed Butternut Squash Boats
Stuffed acorn squash with chicken Italian sausage and apple
- 2 acorn squash cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 lb chicken Italian sausage or turkey italian sausage
- 1 medium Apple
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped sage
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp Fourth and Heart California garlic ghee Sub avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- Cut your acorn squash in half, remove seeds, and roast 425 for 30-35 minutes
- Heat pan with ghee, add onions, celery, apples, sage, salt and pepper, and saute for 5-7 minutes
- Add chicken or turkey sausage, cilantro, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Stuff roasted acorn squash with chicken sausage
- Bake stuffed acorn squash 400 F for 10 minutes
- Top with fresh pomegrante seeds and fresh sage