Have you ever had shakshuka? It is one of my favorites to make when needing something quick and easy. And it is the perfect meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner (brinner).
What is shakshuka?
Shakshuka, pronounced Shahk-SHOO-kah! But don’t worry, even I have a hard time pronouncing it still. This dish is made with every day ingredients such as; eggs, tomato sauce, onions, bell peppers, and fresh herbs. The eggs are poached in the tomato mixture and makes for the perfect anytime of day meal. But feel free to put your own spin on yours with your favorite items.
Ingredients I used in mine:
- Ground no sugar added breakfast sausage (Code: MHK10 saves you money on purchase). Feel free to use any other type of ground meat or omit to keep vegetarian.
- Red bell pepper
- Tomato sauce
- Goat cheese
- Ghee or any type of oil you use
How to prepare:
Add ghee to a large pan and warm oil on medium heat (about 1 minute). And then add in the diced onions, diced red bell peppers, salt + pepper to taste, and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Next if using the breakfast sausage, add it in, crumble it up with a spoon, and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until cooked through on medium heat. And then add in the tomato sauce, cilantro, spinach, and cook until spinach is wilted (1-2 minutes). Prepare wells (by pushing aside the tomato and sausage mixture) for the eggs to go in and crack 4-6 eggs in each of their own wells.
Cooking the eggs:
Cook time for the eggs will vary, depending on the way you take your eggs. I would cook on a medium-low simmer for about 5-10 minutes, cook longer if you like your eggs well done like I do.
I like to garnish with goat cheese, fresh cilantro, and avocado slices.
Dipping sourdough bread is optional. But I highly don’t recommend omitting. Because, it really makes this dish 100%! And come on, who doesn’t love a good crispy sourdough bread dipped in eggs?
I hope you love it as much as I do. And if you make it, don’t forget to tag me over on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations.
- 1 Tbsp ghee Substitute any type of oil you use
- 1 lb. ground no sugar added breakfast sausage I used Belcampo
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro + 1 Tbsp for garnish
- 1 15 oz can unsalted tomato sauce
- 2 cups spinach
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 4-6 large pasture raised eggs
- 2 Tbsp goat cheese Optional
- 1/2 small avocado sliced
- 4-6 slices sourdough bread of choice Optional but highly recommend
- Add ghee to a large pan and warm through on medium heat (1 minute)
- Add in diced onions, diced red bell pepper, salt + pepper and sauté for 5-7 minutes on medium heat
- Add in breakfast sausage and cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat
- Add tomato sauce, cilantro, spinach, and cook until the spinach is wilted on medium heat
- Make 4-6 wells by moving aside the sausage mixture
- Crack 4-6 eggs into the wells
- Cook for about 5-10 minutes on medium-low heat (depending on how you take your eggs)
- Top with goat cheese, fresh cilantro, avocado slices
- Dip your favorite toasted sourdogh bread into the mixture and enjoy