Grain-Free Pecan Bars:
What is your favorite holiday dessert? I personally can’t choose just one, because I love desserts too much. However, what I do love is recreating holiday classics into healthier options. Being healthy doesn’t have to be boring nor does it mean we must deprive ourselves. I like to have dessert every night and I have no shame in that. When I am making everything from scratch, it allows me to know EXACTLY what ingredients are in my food. One of the few food rules I live by is to just EAT REAL FOOD. It really is that simple. So here are my healthier pecan bars that you will need to add to your holiday baking list. They are made grain free, gluten free, refined sugar free, and option to make dairy free.
Here is what you’ll need for the filling:
- Medjool dates soaked over night
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Raw pecans
- Celtic sea salt
- Optional add in: Pecan butter
Add all these ingredients to a food processor and pulse a couple times. You want the filling to resemble sand like texture. Set this aside and prepare the cookie base next.
Here is what you’ll need for the cookie base:
Add everything to a food processor and pulse a few times. You want the dough to be sticky and resemble sand like consistency. Then press down dough with your hands into an 8×8 baking dish lined with parchment paper. Bake the cookie base on 350 for 10-15 minutes. Once done, let cool completely, and add the filling on top of cookie base.
Once the cookie base has cooled, you want to add the filling on top. I just add with my hands and press down to create an even layer. Then top with raw pecans and bake for another 10 minutes. Let cool completely and then cut into bars. I store mine in the fridge in an airtight container. They taste amazing cold or warm.
- 1/3 cup chopped soaked Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of Celtic sea salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Optional add in: 1-2 Tbsp pecan butter I used @georgiagrinders
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil not melted
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare all the crust ingredients by adding to a food processor and pulse 5 times.
- Add to a greased 8x8 baking dish, press down with your fingers, and bake 350 for 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool completely and prep the filling.
- Add filling ingredients to food processor and process for 20-30 seconds, you want smooth consistency.
- Spread over crust and top with more pecans.
- Bake 350 for 10 minutes.
- Store in fridge for 30-1 hour to firm up and then cut into slices.
- Store in airtight container in fridge.