Meatless taco “meat”:
I can’t remember which restaurant it was that I first tried a walnut “meat” alternative, but ever since I tried it, I have been hooked on making it at home when I am in the mood for some vegan tacos. This “meat” is so easy to prepare, you will be wondering why you haven’t made it sooner.
Here is what you’ll need to make your walnut “meat’:
- Primal Palate Taco seasoning or you can make your own (1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp coriander, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper)
- Avocado oil
How to prepare the “meat”:
You want to add your zucchini, walnuts, mushrooms, and cilantro to a food processor and pulse a couple times until you get your desired consistency. Make sure you pulse versus process in your food processor because you don’t want the mixture to turn out like a paste. Once this is done add to a pan with avocado oil and taco seasoning and cook a few minutes.
While your “meat” is cooking you want to go ahead and prepare your pineapple salsa and guacamole to go with tacos.
For the pineapple salsa you will need:
- Chopped pineapple
- Red onions
- Juice of a couple limes
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add to a bowl, mix, and set aside.
For the guacamole you will need:
- Two ripe avocados
- Garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Add all to a bowl, mix, and set aside.
I used some jicama tortillas I bought at Whole foods, but you could use any tortilla you would like. I added my “meat” mixture to each jicama tortilla, topped with my pineapple salsa, and drizzled some Siete Foods vegan blanco queso.
Other options for using meatless taco “meat”:
I also like adding this “meat” to enchiladas, quesadillas, or making some loaded nachos. The nice thing about this taco “meat,” is there are so many ways you can utilize in a variety of meals.
Meatless taco "meat"
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 tsp Primal Palate taco seasoning Substitute: 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp coriander, 1/4 tsk paprika, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- handful of cilantro
- Pulse the walnuts, zucchini, and mushrooms in food processor (or chop).
- Heat pan with avocao oil, add ground "meat" mixture, cilantro, seasoning, and cook for a few minutes.
- Chopped pineapple, red onion, cilantro, 2 limes juiced, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, salt + pepper to taste. Mix and top tacos.
- avocado, cilantro, salt + pepper, garlic powder to taste. Mix and add to tacos.
- Drizzled Siete foods vegan blanco "queso"