I have never been a pie type of girl, but if you put squash pie in front of me I am all over it. Now if you have never squash pie before it taste similar to a pumpkin pie but BETTER. And I believe everything is better in bar form, so I created these grain free, refined sugar free, and dairy free squash pie bars.
I was asked to participate in Love Bird’s holiday bake off to fight childhood cancer. And the main ingredient needed to be used in the bake off is their Grain free unsweetened cereal. The ingredients in the cereal include: cassava, collagen, coconut, coconut oil, and sea salt. Real ingredients and real tasty, just how I like it!
Ingredients you will need:
- Love Bird Unsweetened Grain Free Cereal
- Baking soda
- Primal Palate gingersnap seasoning (substitute ginger spice and allspice)
- Primal Palate maple sugar (substitute coconut sugar or any type of sweetener you use)
- Coconut oil
- Ice cold water
- Butternut squash
- Coconut cream
- Tapioca flour
Preparing the crust:
I add all my ingredients for the crust to my food processor and pulse a few times. But please be mindful that you are pulsing versus processing for this recipe. I then roll into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. I lightly grease my 8×8 baking dish, add the dough, and with my fingers I push the crust down to create an even layer. And the I poke holes and bake 350° F for 10 minutes and let cool completely.
For the squash filling I add all the ingredients to my food processor and process until I get a smooth, silky texture. I then add about 2 cups of the squash filling to my cooled pie crust and bake 350° F for 35-40 minutes. I let cool completely and then store in the refrigerator overnight. And then slice into either 9 large bars or 16 small bars.
Meal prep ahead of time:
I personally enjoy this pie cold or at room temperature. Which makes for the perfect item to meal prep ahead of time and doesn’t require any oven space Thanksgiving day. And they are freezer friendly too!
What to top bars with:
Check out these other holiday dessert recipes:
Squash Pie Bars:
- 3 cups Love Bird Unsweetened Grain Free Cereal
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp gingersnap seasoning substitute 1/4 tsp of each: ginger, maple or coconut sugar, cinnamon, allspice
- 1/2 cup maple sugar substitute coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut cream
- 1/2 cup Maple sugar substitute coconut sugar
- 2 tsp gingersnap seasoning substitute 1/4 tsp of each: ginger, allspice, maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- Add to food processor and pulse a few times (if too wet add a little more cereal) until dough forms. You want it to be sticky and easy to form.
- Add to a greased or lined 8x8 baking dish and press down with fingers to create an even layer
- Poke holes all over crust with a fork
- Bake 350 F for 10 minutes and let cool completely once done
Squash Filling Instructions:
- Cook butternut squash 400 F 30-35 minutes (let cool completely once done)
- Add everything to a food processor and process until you get a creamy, smooth consistency
- Add about 2 cups of filling to cooled crust and bake 350 F for 35-40 minutes
- Let bars cool completely and cover. And refrigerate bars overnight
- Next day slice into 9 large bars or 16 small bars, top with dairy-free yogurt of choice