One of my favorite summer time desserts are strawberry shortcakes. I remember getting so excited when I would spot the cakes you can buy at the grocery store on our kitchen counter when we were growing up, because I knew strawberry shortcakes were in store. But in my attempts to make a healthier version of the classic, I decided to make a bread versus cakes, and I must say I like this version better.
Preparing the bread:
First things first prepare the bread. But, let me preface by saying, you can definitely use this bread in a variety of other way’s, not just for these strawberry shortcakes. Think avocado toast, nut butter with bananas on top, French toast, or even for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
What you are going to need to prepare the bread includes:
- Vanilla Madagascar ghee (sub coconut oil or butter)
- Coconut flour
- Baking soda
- Maple syrup
- Optional: Flaxseed meal
Add everything to a blender and mix on low until everything is incorporated. And then add do a lined loaf pan and bake 350 for 40-45 minutes and let cool completely.
While your bread is baking prepare your dairy free whipped cream:
- 1 can of coconut cream
- Vanilla extract
- Manuka Honey
Add everything to a bowl and with a handheld mixer mix for about 3-4 minutes and set aside.
Making the strawberry shortcakes:
Once your bread is cooled you are going to add a dollop of the whipped cream to each slice and top with sliced strawberries. And if there are any leftovers, I like to store all ingredients separately in the refrigerator.
Strawberry Shortcake Bread
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup vanilla Madagascar ghee can sub coconut oil or butter
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal optional
Dairy free whipped cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can coconut cream 13.5 fl.oz
- 1 tbsp manuka honey
- Mix wet ingredients in blender
- Add in dry ingredients and mix
- Add to a lined loaf pan and bake 350 for 40-45 minutes.
- Prepare your dairy free whipped cream by adding everything to a bowl and mixing with a handheld mixer for a few minutes
- Let bread cool completely before slicing
- Add a dollop of whipped cream, strawberries, and mint