Chocolate Hazelnut Spread:
Have you ever made your own chocolate hazelnut spread? Well I am here to tell you it is super easy to do and I don’t think I’ll buy a store bought version again. And if you are a lover of Nutella, this taste so similar. But made with 100% real ingredients.
Ingredients you will need:
- Raw hazelnuts
- Cacao or cocoa powder: I used Sunwink Cacao Clarity superfood powder; which means this spread is loaded with superfoods!
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil
- Hu Kitchen Dark chocolate gems (code: Melissa saves you 15% off purchase) but feel free to use whatever type of chocolate chips or chocolate you dig
Toasting the hazelnuts:
Add your raw hazelnuts to a lined baking sheet and bake 350 F for 10 minutes. And once the hazelnuts are done toasting, let them cool, add to a towel, and rub off the skins as best as possible.
How to prepare the hazelnut spread:
Add the hazelnuts to a food processor and process until you get a smooth, creamy consistency. And then add in the melted chocolate gems, vanilla extract, salt, and Cacao. Process for about 30 seconds-1 minute or until it is incorporated and you have a smooth consistency. And while it’s processing, slowly add in a little coconut at a time, until you reach desired consistency.
How to store:
I like to store mine in an airtight container either at room temperature or in refrigerator if I want it to last longer.
My spread is too oily, what did I do wrong?
If the spread looks too oily don’t worry. Because once it is stored overnight at room temperature or in refrigerator it will thicken up. The pictures below show the difference between right after it is prepped versus once it sat in airtight container overnight at room temperature.
What can I use this spread on?
The possibilities are endless when it comes to using this hazelnut spread. But here are a few of my favorites ways to enjoy it.
- On toasted grain free toast with banana coins and hemp seeds
- By the spoonfuls
- On pancakes, French toast, or waffles
I hope you enjoy this chocolate hazelnut spread as much as I do. And if you make it, please tag me in your creations over on Instagram so I can see.
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 1 1/2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup cacao ( I used Sunwink Cacao Clarity superfood powder) Substitute cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup chocolate gems melted I used Hu Kitchen Dark chocolate gems
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Add raw hazelnuts to a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper and toast 350 F for 10 minutes
- Let toasted hazelnuts cool
- Add to a towel and rub off the skins of hazelnuts as best as possible
- Add hazelnuts to food processor and process for about 30 seconds-1 minute or until you reach a smooth and creamy consistency
- Melt chocolate gems with 1 tsp coconut oil over stove top or in microwave
- Add vanilla extract, salt, melted chocolate, cacao, to food processor with hazelnuts, and process until smooth (about a minute or so)
- Slowly add in melted coconut oil while mixture is processing until you get desired consistency
- It’s okay if it seems too oily, it will firm up once stored into a nice thick consistency
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in refrigerator