Air fried chicken nuggets:
If you don’t know this about me now, I love to recreate our favorite comfort foods into a healthier option. Mostly for Todd, because that boy loves his take out, and I am trying to show him that being healthy doesn’t have to be BORING. So tonight I decided I was going to make him some chicken nuggets and instead of baking, like I typically do, I was going to air fry them and see which way he likes better.
What you will need to make these chicken nuggets includes:
- Chicken breast diced up into bite size pieces
- Everything or Italian Nut Crumbs (substitute almond meal with seasonings, Italian bread crumbs, panko)
- Pasture raised eggs
- Arrowroot flour or tapioca flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Primal Kitchen Foods unsweetened ketchup
Are there any substitutes for these chicken nuggets?
If you don’t have the nut crumbs feel free to use panko, almond meal, regular or Italian bread crumbs. But if using panko, almond meal, regular bread crumbs, I suggest adding in seasonings to add flavor to it. Seasonings I would suggest 1/4 tsp of each: garlic powder, turmeric, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika, Primal Palate Amore seasonings. And if you don’t have arrowroot or tapioca flour, use whatever type of flour you have on hand or omit.
Set up your dredging stations:
First, set up the dredging stations. One bowl with the chopped chicken, another bowl with the whisked eggs, other bowl with the arrowroot flour, and last bowl with the nut crumbs.
Preparing the chicken nuggets:
Dip the chicken in arrowroot flour, next into the eggs, and then into the nut crumbs. And add to greased air fryer pan. Bake 390 in your air fryer for 9-10 minutes.
What to enjoy them with:
There are multiple ways you can enjoy these chicken nuggets. As an appetizer or as a well balanced meal, the choice is up to you. I like to meal prep mine on Sunday’s and during the week I reheat in my air fryer on 250 F for 10 minutes (not it doesn’t dry out the chicken nuggets). I then pair it with some roasted broccoli, my instant pot cauliflower mash, or roasted sweet potatoes.
If you don’t have an air fryer then bake them:
Todd ended up preferring the air fryer method versus baking because he said it actually tasted like something he would get at Chick-fil-a, and that my friends is what we call a SUCCESS.
But if you don’t have an air fryer you can try out my baking method here.
Air Fried Chicken Nuggets
- 1 lb Chicken breast
- 2 large pasture raised eggs
- 1 cup tapioca or arrowroot powder Substitute: all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Nut Crumbs Everything Nut crumbs Substitute: almond meal, panko, regular bread crumbs, italian bread crumbs
- salt + pepper to taste
Seasonings to add if using regular bread crumbs, almond meal, or panko:
- 2 tbsp Primal Palate Amore seasoning Substitute 1/4 tsp of each: oregano, thyme, basil, parsley, red chili flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Cut your chicken breast in bite size pieces
- In one bowl whisk your eggs
- In another bowl mix your Everything Nut Crumbs with salt and pepper
- In another bowl add your arrowroot or tapioca flour
- Dip your chicken in arrowroot flour, then egg mixture, and then nut crumbs
- Add to greased air fryer dish
- Air Fry 390 F for 9-10 minutes
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce