Whenever we have a family function with Todd’s family, I am always in charge of salads or desserts. Two of my favorite things, so I don’t mind preparing them. I like to switch it up so that it keeps it exciting, and this winter salad is by far my favorite combination. The fresh pears, goat cheese, homemade candied pecans, and roasted butternut squash just add so much flavor to this salad.
What you are going to need:
- Diced pears
- Rosted butternut squash
- Homemade candied pecans (see below how to make)
- Pumpkin seeds
- Super greens
- Unsweetened dried cranberries
- Optional: Crumbled goat cheese
Meal prep ahead of time:
I like to prepare my toppings the night before so it saves me time the day of the event. I first roast my butternut squash with some avocado oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, on 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Set them aside and let them cool. You want to make sure they are cooled before adding to your greens, or else you will wilt your greens and turn them soggy. That is why I prefer to do all the prepping the night before so everything is nice and chilled.
Homemade candied pecans:
Next comes my favorite part, making my candied pecans. I promise you that once you try making your own at home, you will never want to buy store bought one’s again.
What you will need for the candied pecans includes:
- Primal Palate’s cinnamon sugar cookie seasoning (you can substitute coconut sugar and cinnamon, but I highly recommend this seasoning)
- Maple syrup
How to prepare:
Add everything to a baking dish lined with parchment paper, spread the pecans evenly, add your maple syrup and cinnamon sugar cookie seasoning, mix, and spread out into an even layer. You will bake 300 for 15-20 minutes. Once done let them cool completely and then break them up if stuck together with your hands.
Then the morning of, add all your ingredients to your super greens and mix. I personally find that this salad has enough flavor to not need a dressing, but if you want a dressing I would do a balsamic dressing.
- 1 package of organic girl super greens
- 2 pears diced
- 1-2 cups roasted cinnamon butternut squash
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Primal Palate cinnamon sugar cookie seasoning sub coconut sugar and cinnamon
- 2 tbsp goat cheese
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- Roast your butternut squash with avocado oil,cinnamon, nutmeg, add to a lined baking dish and bake 400 for 20 minutes.
- Let cool and prepare your candied pecans.
- Add pecans, maple syrup, and Primal Palate cinnamon sugar cookie seasoning, mix with your hands.
- Add to a baking dish lined with parchment paper and bake 300 for 15-20 minutes, let cool for 10 minutes.
- Assemble your salad with the rest of the ingredients.