If you are wanting to take your basic tuna cakes into high gear, I definitely suggest you try these sweet potato tuna cakes. They make for the perfect item to meal prep on Sunday to have prepped in advance for those busy work weeks. You can add them to salads, sandwiches, burgers, lettuce wraps, the possibilities are endless.
What you will need:
- Wild Planet wild albacore tuna
- Steamed Japanese sweet potato (white sweet potato)
- Primal Kitchen garlic ai0li avocado oil mayo
- Red onions
- Red bell pepper
- Pasture raised eggs
First you are going to want to steam your sweet potatoes. I like to steam mine in my instant pot because they are done in only 3 minutes in it. Don’t worry, if you don’t have an instant pot just steam in a steamer or however you typically steam your foods. Once you have your sweet potatoes steamed let them cool completely, I will throw them in the refrigerator to speed up the process.
While your sweet potatoes are cooling, you can start mixing the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Then add in the cooled sweet potatoes, mix, and start to form your patties. Then heat a grill pan with some avocado oil and cook a couple minutes each side. Be gentle with these, since they don’t contain any flour they may crumble when flipping, but no worries, just reform into patties.
Once the patties are done, remove the patties from the pan, add to some greens and all the fixings to make a loaded salad. Save the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days of making them.
These also freeze very well, so if you wanted to save some for another week you don’t feel like cooking, I would suggest doubling the recipe. I like to wrap a couple individually and then store in my Stasher Bag in the freezer.
Sweet Potato Tuna Cakes
- 2 pasture raised eggs
- 1 cup peeled and steamed Japanese sweet potato
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 2 cans Wild Planet wild albacore tuna
- 1/4 cup Primal Kitchen garlic aioli mayo
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Steam your sweet potatoes in instant pot for 3 minutes on steam functionOr steam over stove top in a steamer basket until soft
- Mix rest of ingredients in a bowl and form patties
- Heat some avocado oil in a grill pan and cook a few minutes each side