This pasta bake is sure to fill that comfort food craving. I have been trying to recreate some comfort foods into healthier options so that I can get Todd on board with cutting out his fast food cravings. And I must say this pasta bake was a sure hit with him, he requested I make this at least once a month. I guess you can say my job is done.
Items I prefer in this dish:
I wanted to make this pasta gluten-free so I used Banza rigatoni but feel free to use whatever pasta you prefer. For this dish I used Buy Ranch Direct turkey sausage (my fave) but you can use any other type of meat, or make it vegetarian by using mushrooms and veggies. And for my pasta sauce I used Primal Kitchen Foods Vodka sauce but substitute whatever pasta sauce you enjoy.
Other ingredients needed:
- Avocado oil
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh Basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Making the pasta bake:
Preparing this dish is super simple! First I add my avocado oil to a large pan and warm. Then I add my diced onions with salt +pepper and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Next, add in the turkey sausage and cook until no longer pink (about 5-7 minutes). While this is cooking prepare the pasta in another pot according to package. Once your sausage is done cooking add in the diced zucchini, basil, and mix. Lastly, drain the pasta, add to the pot with the sausage, add the sauce, and mix.
I used a 13×9 baking dish, poured half of the pasta to the dish, and added half of the cheese. Then add the remainder of the pasta and topped with cheese. Bake 375 F for 30 minutes covered and the last 10 minutes cook uncovered.
Meal prep ahead of time:
What I love about this dish is that it can be prepped during meal prep Sunday. I like to prepare everything, cover, and the night I plan on enjoying I bake. But you can also already have it all baked ahead of time and during the weeknight just reheat in convection oven for 10-15 minutes.
- 1 box Rigatoni I used Banza brand
- 4 Buy Ranch Direct Turkey Sausage
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1 jar Primal Kitchen Foods Vodka sauce
- 1-2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped Fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add Avocado oil to pan and heat
- Cook pasta in another pan according to package
- Add the onions with salt and pepper and sauté for a few minutes
- Add the turkey sausage, crumble up with a spoon, and cook for 5-7 minutes
- Add the chopped zucchini, basil, and cook a couple minutes
- Drain the pasta and add to pan with sausage
- Add the sauce and mix
- Pour 1/2 of the pasta in a 13x9 baking dish and top with cheese
- Add remainder of pasta and top with cheese
- Bake covered 375 F for 30 minutes, uncover the last ten minutes
- Top with fresh basil