Comfort foods with a healthier spin to them are my jam. Don’t get me wrong sometimes it is nice to enjoy the real thing, but all in moderation in my books. So on the day’s I am craving my favorite comfort foods I like to put my own little healthy spin on it, like this meat lovers lasagna. It is made with real quality ingredients I can trust and it taste just as good as the real deal. This one is even Todd approved, and he didn’t even realize there was cottage cheese in it in place of ricotta cheese, SHHH!
So let’s start with the filling you are going to need:
- Nancy’s whole milk cottage cheese
- Rumiano mozzarella cheese
- salt + pepper to taste
- thinly sliced zucchini
- Primal Palate’s Amore seasoning
You want to mix all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside while you cook your sausage. For the sausage you are simply going to add to a non stick skillet and cook until no longer pink, around 5-7 minutes. Once cooked through add a jar of your favorite tomato sauce and mix. Now comes the fun part, layering the lasagna.
First layer: add some tomato sauce to an 8×8 baking dish
Second layer: add your no bake gluten free lasagna shells ( I use De Boles no boiling oven ready gluten free rice lasagna, which I buy at Sprouts market)
Third layer: add your meat mixture
Fourth layer: add your thinly sliced zucchini
Fifth layer: dollop some of the cheese mixture and spread as best as you can
And repeat the layers a couple more times, you want to end on the cheese mixture on top. Then bake 350 for 50-60 minutes.
This meal can be meal prepped ahead of time and baked the night you are planning on enjoying. It also reheats nicely by adding it to convection oven for 5-10 minutes to reheat. You can also freeze if you don’t plan on eating it all, by individually wrapping your slices with foil and placing in a zip lock bag in the freezer.
Meat Lovers Lasagna
- 1 lb bison sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 zucchini thinly sliced
- 2 cups Nancy's probiotic whole milk cottage cheese
- 1 cup Rumiano mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup extra for topping
- 9 De Boles gluten free rice lasagna No boiling-oven ready
- 2 tsp Primal Palate amore seasoning
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Cook your sausage for 5-7 minutes
- Once sausage is done cooking add in your tomato sauce and mix
- Prep your cheese mixture by mixing cottage cheese, amore seasoning, salt, and pepper, and cheese
- Spread some tomato sauce in an 8x8 baking dish
- Add your rice lasagna noodles
- Then sausage
- Then cheese mixture
- Repeat twice and top with cheese
- Bake 350 for 50-60 minutes