Something that has been a big challenge for me when it comes to developing healthy recipes are one’s that Todd will thoroughly enjoy. He isn’t necessarily the best taste tester when I am developing my recipes because he is SOOOO picky and most of the time denies even trying the foods. However, when I can peak his interest with something and he is willing to try, I know I am making progress.
I believe that when it comes to trying to help others live a healthier lifestyle it has to be something the other person wants. If you force anyone to live a healthy lifestyle it will never be maintained and typically will only last a month or two. So my approach with Todd is make things I think he will enjoy and hope I can persuade him that eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring.
Like this instant pot shredded skirt steak dish. If you have never tried cooking your meats in the instant pot, I definitely suggest you try ASAP. The meat turns out so tender, moist, juicy, and melts in your mouth. No dry meat over here, thanks to the instant pot.
The prep is very easy and only requires one pot which is an added bonus in my book.
- Step 1: set your instant pot to saute function, add your avocado oil, and let it get warm
- Step 2: add in your chopped onions with salt + pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes or until they are nice and caramelized
- Step 3: add in your cubed skirt steak and sear a couple minutes each side
- Step 4: add in your salsa verde, cumin, chili powder, garlic, and mix
- Step 5: turn off your instant pot, cover instant pot and make sure it is sealed, then set instant pot to manual high pressure for 45 minutes
- Step 6: once done do quick release of pressure and shred meat with two forks
The nice thing about preparing this steak is that you are not limited to the same thing everyday with leftovers. You can easily mix it up and create a variety of meals with your leftovers. For this meal I did Banza’s chickpea rice and made it into a cilantro lime rice, roasted broccoli, homemade pickled onions, Siete Foods grain free chips, and the shredded skirt steak.
Here are some other ideas for using your leftover shredded skirt steak to make a variety of meals:
- Taco salad bowl
Instant pot shredded skirt steak
- 1 lb Buy Ranch Direct skirt steak
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup beef bone broth or chicken bone broth
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- Set instant pot to sauté function, add avocado oil, onion, salt + pepper, and Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cubed steak sear a couple minutes each side
- Add broth, salsa verde, chili powder, cumin, and mix
- Set to Manual high pressure for 45 minutes and once done quick release pressure.
- Shred with fork