I have never been a fan of eggnog. Something about eggs in a drink just freaks me out. But I decided to try my hand at a vegan version using one of my favorite kitchen gadgets, the Almond Cow.
What is the Almond Cow?
The almond cow is a machine that can be used to create a variety of plant-based mylk’s at home in under a minute. And you can use any nut, seed, or grain to make a variety of mylk’s. But what is even more awesome, this machine does all the straining for you, 0 mess, and easy clean up. If you want to grab one, feel free to use my affiliate code: Melissa15 for $15 off your Almond Cow.
Ingredients you will need:
- Unsweetened coconut mylk
- Unsweetened coconut cream
- Medjool dates
- Vanilla extract
- Optional: your favorite bourbon
How to make in the Almond Cow:
Add the dates, cashews, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the filter basket of the Almond Cow and seal with the top. To the base of the Almond Cow, add the coconut mylk, coconut cream, water, vanilla extract, and salt. And then close the almond cow, press the almond cow button, and let it go through 3 cycles. Once the green light is solid, your mylk is done. And if you are using the bourbon, I like to add it all to a pot, and simmer with the bourbon for 5 minutes.
How to make in the blender:
And don’t worry, if you don’t have an Almond Cow, you can make it in your blender. But be sure to soak your cashews and dates overnight or at least for 30 minutes in warm water. Because this helps create a smooth, creamy consistency, and doesn’t make your blender work extra hard. And the nice thing about cashew mylk is no straining is required.
How to store:
I like to store mine in my Weck jars in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days. Because since this eggnog does not contain any fillers or gums, it will not last as long as the traditional eggnogs do. But you could also freeze by placing in silicone ice molds and using when needed.
What can I use it for?
My latest addiction, has been using it in my smoothies. Because it makes the smoothie so creamy and taste like the holidays. For my smoothie, I add the eggnog, gingerbread pecan butter, spinach, flaxseed meal, vanilla protein powder, ice, and blend. And if you want a nice boozy drink, add some bourbon and enjoy. But also use in place of any mylk in baked goodies to elevate your holiday treats.
Vegan Eggnog in the Almond Cow
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 13.5 fl oz. can coconut cream
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 3 medjool dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup bourbon
Almond Cow Instructions:
- To the filter basket add soaked cashews, medjool dates, and seasonings
- Seal the top to the filter basket
- To the base add try coconut milk, coconut cream, vanilla extract, salt
- Close the almond cow and press the almond cow button
- Let it go through 3 cycles
- Once the green light is solid it’s done
- Pour in a mason jar or mylk jug and store in refrigerator for up to 5-6 days
- Soak cashews and medjool dates in water overnight or at least 30 minutes in warm water
- Place all ingredeints in high powered blender
- Blend for 5-7 minutes or until nice and smooth and creamy
- Pour in a mason jar or mylk jug
- Store in refrigerator for 5-6 days