This years quarantine Easter dinner included homemade gluten-free manicotti. Originally I wanted to make lasagna, but I didn’t have any luck finding lasagna noodles. But I looked through my pantry and found manicotti noodles and so manicotti it was!
Ingredients you will need:
- Jovial Foods Gluten-free manicotti noodles
- Pasture raised egg
- Cottage cheese (substitute ricotta cheese or dairy-free ricotta cheese)
- Mozzarella cheese (substitute dairy-free/plant-based cheese)
- Parmesan cheese (substitute dairy-free/plant based cheese)
- Diced onions
- Ground Beef (substitute any meat you have, diced mushrooms or eggplant to keep vegetarian, or just use cheese filling)
- Primal Palate super gyro seasoning (substitute equal parts dried oregano, parsley, chili flakes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
- Primal Kitchen Foods tomato basil marinara sauce (or any type of tomato sauce you have)
The first step is to prepare the ground beef. I add my garlic ghee to a pan and warm, then add my diced onion, salt + pepper, and brown for about 5-7 minutes. And then I drain the fat and set aside while I prepare the rest of the ingredients. But if you want to keep this vegetarian you can either omit this step entirely or you can sauté some diced mushrooms or eggplant if you want a heartier vegetarian meal.
Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a pot, add your manicotti noodles to water, and cook for 4 minutes. And once done cooking, using a slotted spoon, scoop out noodles, and place on a dish to cool.
Next step is to prepare the cheese mixture. I first whisked my egg in a bowl, added the cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste, freshly diced cilantro (sub parsley), and mixed. And then I add the cheese mixture to a zip lock bag, cut the tip off, and squeeze the cheese mixture into each of my manicotti shells.
Spread about 1/4 cup of marinara sauce to 11×3 baking dish and place the stuffed manicotti shells on top. Mix your ground beef or vegetables with the rest of the marinara sauce and spread on top of the manicotti shells. And then cover the dish with foil and bake 350 F for 20 minutes.
And once done cooking for the 20 minutes, remove the foil, top with cheese, and cook for another 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley and enjoy with fresh homemade garlic bread.
- 8 Gluten-Free manicotti noodles I used Jovial Foods Brand
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cottage cheese sub ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 1 Tbsp garlic ghee sub avocado oil and 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/3 lb ground beef sub any type of meat or omit to be vegetarian
- 1 Tbsp super gyro seasoning sub oregano, chili flakes, parsley
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp diced cilantro
- 1 cup primal Kitchen foods tomato basil marinara sauce
- Heat pan with ghee, add onions salt + pepper to taste and sauté for 5 minutes
- Then add in ground beef and super gyro seasoning and cook until no longer pink, drain fat, and set aside
- Bring 4 quarts of water in another pot to boil and add the 8 manicotti shells and cook for 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate to cool.
- Prepare cheese mixture by mixing cottage cheese, egg, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1 cup mozzarella, cilantro, salt + pepper
- Add to a zip lock bag and cut the tip, squeeze into each manicotti shell
- Add about 1/4 cup tomato sauce to a 11x3 baking dish and place the stuffed manicotti shells on top, mix the ground beef with the tomato sauce and place on top of the manicotti shells
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake 350 F for 20 minutes
- Uncover, add about 1/4 cup of cheese over top, and bake 350 F for 15 minutes, top with fresh cilantro