Halloween puppy chow:
Now if there is one thing you should make for Halloween, it is this puppy chow. Made with grain free cereal and real ingredient toppings. And it is a great prep ahead snack or dessert option if you are planning on entertaining.
Ingredients you will need:
- Lovebird unsweetened grain free cereal (substitute any type of cereal you like) and my affiliate code: Melissa saves you 10% off your purchase
- Hu kitchen chocolate gems (substitute any chocolate chips or chocolate you like) and my affiliate code: Melissa saves you 15% off your purchase
- Powdered sugar
- Yum Earth candy corn
- Snyder’s Gluten free pretzels
- Dandies Vegan mini marshmallows
- Hu Kitchen Pumpkin Spice candy bars (substitute any chocolate you like)
- Georgia Grinders Organic peanut butter (substitute any nut or seed butter) and my affiliate code: MHK20 saves you 20% off your purchase
How to prepare the puppy chow:
First start by melting the chocolate and peanut butter on medium low heat in a small sauce pan, stirring frequently until melted. And add the cereal to a large bowl, pour the chocolate all over the cereal, and mix. Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes to let the chocolate set a bit. But you don’t want the chocolate to fully set, so keep an eye on it.
Powdered sugar dance:
And now comes the fun powdered sugar dance! Add the chocolate coated cereal to a large zip lock bag, add the powdered sugar, zip the bag, and shake shake shake. And do a little dance move until all the cereal is coated with the powdered sugar.
Optional add ins:
And once the cereal is coated add it back to a large bowl. Feel free to add whatever type of add ins you have on hand. But here is what I went with for mine:
- Candy corn
- Chopped pumpkin spice chocolate
- Mini vegan marshmallows
How to store:
Store in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days, if it last that long :).
Can I meal prep it in advance?
Yes, feel free to prep it the night before. But it is one of the easiest snacks or desserts to make! And so if you need a last minute idea to take to a Halloween party, this is the recipe for you!
Check out these other festive treats:
Halloween Puppy Chow:
- 6-8 cups Lovebird unsweetened Grain Free cereal substitute Chex mix cereal
- 1 cup Hu Kitchen chocolate gems Substitute: chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar of choice
- 1 cup organice peanut butter substitute any nut or seed butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Optional add ins:
- 1 cup Yum Earth Candy Corn
- 1 cup gluten free pretzel sticks
- 2 Hu Kitchen Pumpkin Spice candy bars substitute any type of chocolate bar or chocolate chips
- 1 cup vegan mini marshmallows
- Melt chocolate gems and peanut butter in a sauce pan until melted on medium low heat
- In a large bowl add the cereal and pour in the chocolate, and mix
- Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes to let the chocolate set a bit (you don’t want it to fully set)
- Add the chocolate covered cereal to a zip lock bag and add the powdered sugar, shake it all up, until the cereal is coated
- Pour back into large bowl and add your desired add ins and mix
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days (if it last that long)