As the weather is starting to warm up over here, all I am craving is light and refreshing summer foods. One of my go to meals for a quick and easy meal, are lettuce wraps. They are super easy to prepare and you can switch up the flavor combinations of them, so that they never get boring. For these lettuce wraps I went with a rendition of the PF Chang lettuce wraps I love so much.
Here is what you are going to need to prepare these wraps:
- Ground turkey (you can substitute ground chicken, pork, or tofu)
- Green onions
- Yellow onions
- Coconut aminos
- Sesame oil
- Water chestnuts
- Sesame seeds
- Teriyaki sauce
- Chili flakes
- Avocado oil
- Salt + Pepper
Now this may seem like a lot of ingredients but trust me when I say it adds the best flavor and is super easy to prepare, don’t be overwhelmed by ingredients list.
Preparation of the lettuce wraps are easy. You are going to heat your avocado oil in a pan and once warm add in both onions (green and yellow) and saute for a few minutes. Then add in your garlic and cook for a minute. Next, add in your ground turkey with salt + pepper, cook your ground turkey for a couple minutes, and then add in your coconut aminos, teriyaki sauce, sesame oil, chili flake, and cook for 5 more minutes or until turkey is no longer pink.
Once done cooking add in your water chestnuts, carrots, cabbage, and cook for a couple minutes. Then you are going to add your ground turkey mixture to butter lettuce, top with avocado, and sesame seeds.
Ground turkey lettuce wraps
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 can of water chestnuts chopped
- 1/2 lb of organic ground turkey
- 1 drop of sesame oil
- 2-3 Tbsp of coconut Aminos
- 1 Tbsp coconut Aminos teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup cabbage
- Heat pan on medium heat with avocado oil and then add green and yellow onions, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in minced garlic, ground turkey with salt + pepper and cook for a couple minutes.
- Then add in coconut aminos, red chili flakes, teriyaki sauce, sesame oil, and cook until no longer pink (5-7 minutes)
- Add in water chestnuts, carrots, cabbage, and cook for a couple minutes
- Top your butter lettuce with the ground turkey mixture, add avocado, and sesame seeds