Lemon Chicken With Orzo:
I have been on a major lemon kick the last couple of weeks. And this lemon chicken with orzo dish is delicious, refreshing, and the perfect prep ahead meal.
- Ghee or any type of oil you use
- Grain free orzo
- Seasoned Lemon Chicken
- Chicken bone broth or any type of broth you use
- Green onions
- Coconut aminos or substitute soy sauce
- Salt + pepper
- Red bell pepper
What type of orzo do you use?
My favorite brand for all the gluten free and grain free pasta’s is hands down Jovial Foods. Because it taste the closest to the real deal.
Can I substitute other types of pasta for this dish?
And don’t worry, this dish can be easily customizable based off what you have in your pantry. And feel free to use whatever type of pasta you dig for this recipe.
Where can I find the seasoned lemon chicken?
The seasoned lemon seasoned chicken is from Belcampo (code: MHK10 saves you 10% off purchase). And these seasoned chicken breast are a great time saving hack. Because they come already seasoned and ready to be cooked. And I love that they are certified humane, paleo, and pasture raised.
What if I don’t have the seasoned lemon chicken?
But if you don’t have the seasoned chicken on hand. Feel free to season your chicken breast on your own. I would suggest using lemon juice, salt + pepper to taste, turmeric, garlic powder, and onion powder. And let marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
How to prepare the vegetable and orzo:
Add ghee to a large pan on medium heat and warm through (about 30 seconds). And add the diced onions, salt+ pepper, and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Next, add in the chopped asparagus, sliced red bell peppers, and sauté for 3-4 minutes. And then add the chicken bone broth, water, coconut aminos, orzo, give it a good mix, and let cook for 15-18 minutes. The liquid should be absorbed and the orzo fully cooked.
But if the liquid is absorbed and the orzo is still tough, just add some extra water, and cook until the orzo is softened.
Prepping the chicken:
And while the vegetables and orzo are cooking, add ghee to a small pan, add the chopped chicken, and the cook for 7-8 minutes, or until no longer pink.
Meal prep ahead of time:
This dish is a great prep ahead meal. I like to meal prep a batch on Sunday and enjoy throughout the week. And this dish can be enjoyed either warm or cold.
How to reheat during the week:
And to reheat, I add my portion to a small pan, and on medium low heat, I heat through (about 3-5 minutes).
Grain Free Lemon Chicken with Orzo
- 2 Tbsp ghee or any oil you use
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 1 lb lemon seasoned chicken breast
- 24 fl oz chicken bone broth substitute any broth you have
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz box of grain free cassava orzo substitute any type of pasta you like
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 2 red bell peppers sliced
- 1 1/2 cup chopped asparagus
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To a large pan on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp ghee/oil, and warm through (about 30 seconds)
- Add onions with salt + pepper and sauté for 5-7 minutes on medium heat
- Add sliced red bell peppers, chopped asparagus, and cook a 3-5 minutes on medium heat
- Add coconut aminos, chicken bone broth, water and orzo, and cook for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and orzo is cooked on medium heat
- In a separate pan with 1 Tbsp ghee, cook the chopped chicken 7-8 minutes, or until no longer pink
- Add cooked chicken to veggie and orzo mixture, mix, and enjoy!