Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bars:
I love sneaking in vegetable into my bakes goodies for some extra fiber. And these grain-free chocolate chip banana zucchini bars are sure to turn those picky eaters into zucchini lovers.
How to prep the zucchini for the bars:
Zucchini’s holds a lot of water, which adds a lot of moisture to baked goodies. And so I like to follow these steps to draw out some of the moisture before baking.
Steps for drawing out the water from zucchini:
- Add the zucchini to a colander and sprinkle sea salt all over
- Let the zucchini sit in the colander for 10 minutes or so
- Use a mesh bag, towel, or cheese cloth to squeeze out the water
Prepping the batter:
Add the zucchini to a large bowl with eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, ripe bananas, and mix until incorporated. Next, add the dry ingredients, mix, and fold in either chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars.
Once my batter is set, I pour the batter into a lined 8×8 baking dish, top with additional chopped chocolate, and bake 350 F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the bars rest:
Once the bars are done I like to sprinkle some flaky sea salt on top and let the bars rest completely before slicing them into 9 bars. And sometimes I like to stick them in the refrigerator after they have rested 5-10 minutes on counter to speed up the process.
How to store:
I like to store my bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy at room temperature or reheated a few minutes in my convection oven. And the nice thing about these bars, is they freeze nicely too, so you can save half the batch for another day.
Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Zucchini Bars
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup zucchini
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 chocolate bar chopped + 3 Tbsp additional for topping
- Sprinkle of flaky salt for topping
- Add your diced zucchini to a colander, sprinkle some sea salt, and let sit for 10 minutes
- Strain using a mesh bag, towel, or cheese cloth
- Add to strained zucchini to bowl along with eggs, bananas. coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and mix
- Add dry ingredients and mix
- Fold into chopped chocolate
- Add to a lined 8x8 baking dish
- Top with additional chopped chocolate
- Bake 350 F 30-35 or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Once done sprinkle some flaky salt on top and let cool completely
- Cut into 9 large bars