Grain-Free Banana Waffles:
Are you team waffles or team pancakes? To be honest I am usually team pancakes but sometimes I get in the mood for some good old waffles. And these grain-free banana waffles are super easy to prepare, make for the perfect meal prep option, and made with just 7 ingredients.
Ingredients you will need:
- Medium ripe bananas
- Pasture raised eggs
- Melted coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Coconut flour or almond flour (if using almond flour you may need to add more)
- Optional: flaxseed meal
- Toppings: fresh fruit, maple syrup, and nut/seed butter of choice
- Optional add in: chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
How to prepare:
Making the waffles are easy. I first start by mashing up my ripe bananas with a fork along the sides of the bowl to get it nice and mashed. And then I add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix. And then add in the dry ingredients and mix. I like to let my batter sit at room temperature for 10 minutes but if you are in a rush no need, its just my personal preference.
Please note: If using almond flour in place of coconut flour you may need to add more if batter is too wet. Coconut flour is more of a denser flour and absorbs more liquid compared to almond flour.
Cooking the waffles:
I have an all clad waffle maker that I love and I find it super easy to make waffles. I spray my waffle maker with some coconut oil and once it is warmed I add about 1/4 cup of the batter to the waffle maker. And I close the waffle maker and let it work its magic, my cook time on mine is about 2 minutes. But time may vary depending on your waffle maker.
Can I use this batter for pancakes?
And yes if you don’t have a waffle maker or if you are just team pancakes, this batter can also be used to make pancakes. Just add some oil to a pan and cook a couple minutes each side. But I would suggest making them on the smaller side so they are easier to flip.
I like to double the recipe for these waffles and make a big batch during my meal prep. And I will store some in the refrigerator in an airtight container for the week and the other half goes in the freezer for a morning I don’t feel like cooking.
Check out these other waffle recipes:
Grain-Free Banana Waffles
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 large pasture raised eggs
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped chocolate or chocolate chips Optional
- Smash the banana with a fork along the sides of a bowl
- Add in the eggs and mix with mashed bananas
- Add the melted coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix
- Add the baking powder, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, and cinnamon and mix
- If adding the optional add in: chopped chocolate or chocolate chips fold into batter
- Let the batter sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes
- Add about 1/4 cup of batter to waffle maker
- Cook according to your waffle maker, I cook mine a couple minutes