Madeleine Mummy Cookies:
These gluten free lemon Madeleine mummy cookies are a super fun, delicious treat for spooky season. And if you don’t feel like making your own cookies from scratch, you can buy your favorite store bought cookies too.
What do Madeleine cookies taste like?
And if you have never had Madeleine cookies before, they have a nice soft, buttery flavor, with a touch of lemon flavor. They are perfect paired with coffee or tea. But you could also mix and match the flavors you make too. They don’t have to be lemon flavored.
What you’ll need for Madeleine cookies:
- Gluten free flour ( I used this one) and if your gluten free flour doesn’t contain guar gum or xanthum gum you’ll need to add to flour mixture too.
- Grass fed butter or any type of butter you like
- Maple sugar or any type of sugar you use
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon zest
- Lemon extract
And if you don’t want to make your own from scratch, go buy your favorite store bought Madeleine cookies, and make these.
How to prepare the cookie batter:
Start by beating your eggs and sugar in a medium bowl with a handheld mixer until creamy. And then add in vanilla extract, lemon zest, salt, lemon extract, and mix. Add a little bit of the flour at a time and mix until fully incorporated, I prefer mixing with a wooden spoon for this part. And then slowly add in your melted and cooled butter and mix until incorporated.
Forming the cookies:
And once you have your batter prepped. Grease a Madeleine cookie dish or use a silicone mold (I bought mine off Amazon). Place the cookie batter into each mold and with a knife or spoon, smooth out the batter into the molds.
Preheat your oven to 375°F and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. And let cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wired rack.
How to create the mummy look:
And once your cookies are fully cooled, melt your white chocolate chips with coconut oil. You can do 20 second intervals in the microwave or in a small pot. Let the chocolate cool for 5-10 minutes. And then dip half of the cookie in the melted chocolate and place on a lined baking dish. Place too candy eyes on each and refrigerate to allow the chocolate to set. And place the remainder of the melted chocolate in a zip lock bag, snip a piece of the end off the bag, and drizzle all over the cookie, to create the mummy look. Place back in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set.
What if I can’t find candy eyes?
I get my candy eyes off Amazon. But if you can’t find any candy eyes right now. You could also use mini chocolate chips for the eyes. Or some black cookie decorating gel.
Can I prep them in advance?
Yes, you can prep these in advance.
How do I store them?
Keep them stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. And enjoy at room temperature.
Check out these other spooky eats:
Your Guide For All The Festive Halloween Food Ideas
Gluten Free Lemon Madeleines Mummies Cookies
- 1 cup gluten free flour I used King Arthurs Gluten free measure for measure flour
- 10 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup maple sugar substitute any type of sugar you like
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For coating:
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 54 candy eyes substitute mini chocolate chips if you don’t have candy eyes
Instructions for cookies:
- Melt butter and set aside
- Crack eggs in a medium bowl and add maple sugar
- With a handheld mixer or stand mixer, mix until mixture is creamy (3-4 minutes)
- Add vanilla extract, lemon extract, lemon zest, salt, and mix
- Add a little bit of the flour at a time and mix until incorporated, and continue until all the flour is added
- Add cooled, melted butter, a little at a time, mix, until all butter is incorporated
- Add the batter to greased Madeline cookie sheets or silicone molds
- Bake 375°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown
- Transfer to a wired rack and let cool
Instructions for coating:
- Add white chocolate chips and coconut oil in a bowl and melt in microwave on 15 second intervals, mixing throughout, and continue until melted.
- Dip your cooled cookies half way into the white chocolate mixture
- Add 2 candy eyes to each cookie
- Add rest of the melted chocolate to a zip lock bag, snip off small piece on end, and drizzle on top to create the mummy look
- Refrigerate cookies until the chocolate is set
- I like to keep mine stored in an airtight container in refrigerator and enjoy at room temperature