Growing up one of my favorite soups my mom would make was albondigas. If you don’t know what albondigas is, it is a traditional Mexican meatball soup. There are different variations out there and I wanted to create my own version that is Paleo, grain free, gluten free, and whole30 approved. Now for this recipe you can use whatever type of meat you prefer. I went with ground chicken but I have also made it with ground pork or ground turkey, and all taste delicious.
For the meatballs you are going to need:
- Ground chicken
- Red bell pepper
- Primal Palate super gyro seasoning
- salt + pepper to taste
I prefer sautéing my veggies with some avocado oil before adding to my ground chicken. This step adds so much flavor but it is optional if you are pressed for time. You are going to add all the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl, mix, and form into small meatballs. Set aside the meatballs and start preparing the broth.
For the broth you are going to need:
- 1 package of Bonafide Provisions chicken bone broth (or any broth you prefer)
- Filtered water
- Bay leaf
- Avocado oil
- Minced garlic
You are going to heat your avocado oil in your pot and once warm add in your onions and carrots and saute for a few minutes with some salt + pepper. Then add in minced garlic and cook a couple minutes while stirring frequently to prevent garlic from burning. Then add in the bone broth, water, bay leaf, oregano, cilantro, and bring to a boil. Then add in your meatballs and once your meatballs float to the top you know they are done.
I like to let mine simmer for 30 minutes covered and right before serving I add in the zoodles so that the zoodles don’t get soggy.
Chicken meatball zoodle soup
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup yellow diced onions
- 1/4 cup red diced red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño deseeded
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1/2 small zucchini
- 2 tbsp Primal palate Super gyro seasoning
- 1 package Bonafide Provisions Chicken bone broth Sub any broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 2 zucchini’s spiralized
- Add red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, zucchini, red bell pepper to food processor and pulse a couple times (or chop).
- Add veggie mixture to ground chicken, and 1 tbsp of super gyro seasoning, mix and form into meatballs.
- Add 1 tbsp avocado oil to pot and heat. Add onions, carrots, salt + pepper and cook 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, 1 tbsp super gyro seasoning, oregano, bay leaf, and stir for a couple minutes.
- Add broth + 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Add meatballs and once they float to top they are done.
- Add spiralized zucchini and cook for a couple minutes.