Caramel Shortbread Banana Nice Cream:
I wanted to do something different with my ripe bananas and so this caramel shortbread banana nice cream was born! It is the perfect quarantine treat and a different way to use those ripe bananas.
Ingredients you will need for nice cream:
Prepare the no bake caramel shortbread bars:
I like to keep a stash of my no bake caramel shortbread bars in my freezer. But if you don’t have a stash in your freezer, you want to prepare these first if using in this recipe. They are super easy to prepare and I would suggest prepping them the night before you plan on making this nice cream.
Preparing the date caramel:
If you are making the caramel shortbread bars you will have extra date caramel left over for this nice cream. I like to keep a stash in my refrigerator for the week because it pairs nicely with so many items.
Making the nice cream:
I like to freeze my ripe bananas overnight by slicing up 4 bananas and placing in my Stasher Bag to freeze. The next day, I add the frozen bananas, maple syrup, coconut cream, pinch of salt to my food processor and process until smooth and silky. And then I fold in the chopped no bake caramel shortbread bars and my date caramel.
Pour into a loaf pan, top with more caramel shortbread bars, and swirl in more date caramel. Place in the freezer overnight.
And the hardest part is waiting for it to freeze overnight. I tested it at the 4 hour mark and it was more of a soft serve consistency, so if that is your jam then enjoy at the 4 hour mark. But if you want it to be thicker, with more of an ice cream consistency, let it freeze overnight.
Caramel Shortbread Banana Nice Cream
- 1/2 can Coconut cream
- 4 Frozen bananas
- 1-2 Tbsp Maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chopped No bake caramel shortbread bars
- 1/2 cup date caramel
- In food processor add frozen bananas, maple syrup, coconut cream, salt and processor until a smooth consistency
- Fold in the chopped caramel shortbread bars, 1/2 of date caramel, and mix
- Add to a loaf pan, top with rest of caramel, and more chopped shortbread bars
- Freeze for at least 4 hours, I froze mine overnight
No bake caramel shortbread Shortbread bars:
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp almond flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal omit if you don’t have
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- Pulse a few times in food processor until you get a sticky sand like consistency
- Add to a greased 9x5 loaf pan and press down with fingers to create an even layer
Date caramel layer:
- 1 cup soaked medjool dates I soak mine over night and strain in the morning reserving the date water
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1 heaping Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup optional
- Add to food processor or high powered blender
- Process for 30 seconds scraping down the sides throughout
- If you want thinner consistency add 1 Tbsp at a time of filtered water
- Add a layer on top of the shortbread layer
- I used 1/2 cup of my date caramel
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Melt over stove top and add layer to top of the date caramel layer
- Freeze for an hour
- Use a sharp knife to cut into 12 bars