Vegan lemon poppyseed cookies:
These vegan lemon poppyseed cookies taste like lemon cake and are super easy to prepare. They make for a great prep ahead snack or dessert option. And they are vegan, refined sugar free, dairy free, and grain free.
Ingredients you will need:
- Raw cashews
- Medjool dates
- Almond extract
- Coconut oil
- Almond flour or coconut flour
- Baking soda
- Raw coconut butter
- Lemon juice + lemon zest
Do you have any substitutes for this recipe?
I have not tried any substitutes for this recipe. But I will share some thoughts on what I think will work in place of other ingredients.
Raw Cashews: An alternative to the raw cashews would be macadamia nuts
Medjool dates: About 1/3 cup- 1/2 cup of maple syrup or Manuka honey (not vegan though)
Poppyseeds: These can be omitted entirely if you can’t have them or substitute chia seeds
Coconut oil: Any neutral tasting oil will work
Raw coconut butter: I would use toasted raw coconut chips or raw coconut shreds and process in food processor to create own coconut butter.
How to prepare:
Add all the ingredients to a food processor or a high powered blender. And process until you get a sticky, smooth consistency. Using a Tbsp ice cream scoop, scoop out batter, and place on a lined cookie sheet. And bake 350 F for 8-10 minutes.
Preparing the coconut butter drizzle:
And once the cookies are done baking, let them rest for 5 minutes before transferring to a wired cooling rack. Melt the raw coconut butter and coconut oil in microwave or stove top until melted. And using a small spoon, drizzle the melted coconut butter over each cookie. And transfer to the refrigerator for 5 minutes to allow the coconut butter to set.
How to store:
I like to store the cookies in an airtight container either in the refrigerator. But these cookies also freeze really well. And if you want them to last longer, I would suggest storing in the freezer, in an airtight container.
And you know how much I love my bliss balls for a delicious grab and go snack option. And so this recipe is a 2 for 1. Because you can make them into cookies for bliss balls.
All the ingredients are the same as the cookies, except omit the baking soda.
How to prepare bliss balls:
The preparation is the same as the cookies. The only difference is the bliss balls won’t be baked. And so once you scoop out the batter, roll into 14 balls, and either store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Cookies or Bliss Balls
- 1 cups raw cashews soaked and rinsed
- 1/4 cup melted raw coconut butter + 2 Tbsp for drizzle
- 1/4 cup coconut flour or almond flour
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 6 medjool dates
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1/2 lemon zested
- 2 Tbsp poppyseeds
- 1 tsp baking soda Omit if doing bliss balls
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and process for 30 seconds
- With a Tbsp ice cream scoop, scoop out batter, and place on a lined baking sheet
- Bake 350 F for 8-10 minutes
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wired cooling rack
- Drizzle with melted coconut butter
Bliss ball instructions:
- Add all ingredients (except baking soda) to a food processor and process for 30 seconds
- With a Tbsp ice cream scoop, scoop out batter, and roll into balls
- Optional: drizzle melted coconut butter on top of each bliss ball
- Store in the freezer or refrigerator in an airtight container