If you are looking for a hearty, easy, delicious vegan Italian dish to make, you must try these eggplant roll ups. They may look complicated, but I promise you they are so easy to prepare. These make for a perfect item to meal prep on Sunday, to make it one less thing you have to do during your busy work week.
The first thing you are going to want to do is slice your eggplant into 1 inch thick slices. I simply do this by carefully using a sharp knife. If you have a mandolin I would use that also, but this girl is scared to use hers so I opt with using a knife to slice. Then you want to add to a baking dish lined with parchment paper, spray some avocado oil along with salt + pepper, and roast your eggplant on 400 for 15-20 minutes.
While your eggplant is roasting you are going to prepare your “meat” stuffing. Any guesses what I am using to create my “meat” stuffing? Drum roll please……walnuts and mushrooms. This “meat” combo is my go to when I want to make plant based meals and it’s pretty much fail proof, so don’t worry about messing it up.
What you will need for the “meat” stuffing:
- Avocado oil
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
You are going to heat your avocado oil in a pan. While you oil is heating add the ingredients to a food processor and pulse a couple times. DO NOT PROCESS, there is a difference between pulse and process when using your food processor, so please just pulse a couple times. You don’t want your “meat” mixture to turn into a paste, you want it to remain chunky and resemble a “meat” texture. Then add your “meat” mixture to your pan with the avocado oil and cook for a few minutes.
Now comes the fun part, assembling your eggplant roll ups:
- Add a layer of Kitehill Ricotta to each of your eggplants
- Add tomato sauce of your liking to each of your eggplants
- Top with your “meat” stuffing
- Carefully roll up each one of your eggplants
- Add some tomato sauce to an 8×8 baking dish
- Place your roll ups in the baking dish
- Top with tomato sauce and fresh basil
- Bake 350 for 15-20 minutes
If you are preparing these ahead of time, you can wait to bake until the day you plan on eating.
Vegan Eggplant roll ups
- 1 eggplant sliced in half then cut into 1-2inch slices
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp jalapeño
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup Kitehill ricotta
- 1 Tbsp diced fresh basil
- 1.5 cups tomato basil sauce sub any tomato sauce you like
- Roast your sliced eggplant with avocado oil and salt and pepper 400 for 15-20 minutes
- Add to a food processor the onions, jalapeño, garlic, mushrooms, walnuts, seasoning, and give it a couple pulses. You want the mixture to resemble "meat" like consistency
- Then add to a pan with some avocado oil and sauté a few minutes
- Add 1 Tbsp of ricotta to each slice, 1 Tbsp of tomato sauce, and about 1-2 Tbsp of the meatless filling
- Roll up and add to a baking dish filled with tomato sauce, top with basil. Bake 350 for another 20 minutes.