Grain-Free Pumpkin Pie Thumbprint Cookies:
These grain-free pumpkin pie thumbprint cookies taste exactly like a pumpkin pie, only in cookie form. If there is one dessert I love during Thanksgiving time, it is pumpkin pie. But I thought I would mix it up this year and create these pumpkin pie thumbprint cookies and boy oh boy am I hooked!
Ingredients needed for cookie base:
- Almond flour
- 1 egg (substitue flax egg)
- Maple syrup
- Fourth and heart Madagascar Vanilla ghee (substitute coconut oil)
How to prepare the cookie:
To prepare the cookie, add all the ingredients to a bowl, and mix. Let the dough sit in the refrigerator for an hour. Then with a small ice cream scooper, scoop out dough, roll into balls, and with your thumb press down gently. Bake 350 F for 8-10 minutes and let cool completely before adding the filling.
Ingredients for pumpkin pie filling:
- Pumpkin puree
- Medjool dates
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin pie spice seasoning
- Full fat coconut milk
Preparing the pumpkin pie filling:
Add all the ingredients for the filling to a food processor or high powered blender. I would suggest you soak your dates overnight to soften them up and not make your processor or blender work too much to break them up. Once your filling is a smooth like consistency store in the refrigerator while your cookies are baking. Once you cookies have cooled completely, add your filling, drizzle with raw coconut butter, and enjoy.
Other options for filling:
And these also would be perfect with my homemade pumpkin + apple butter made in the Instant Pot.
How to store cookies:
I like to store my cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I prefer eating my cold but you can also reheat by adding to your convection oven or oven and baking for another few minutes to warm up.
Thumbprint pumpkin pie cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 large pasture raised egg substitute flax egg
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup Vanilla bean ghee (not melted) substitute coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
Pumpkin pie filling:
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 medjool dates soaked overnight
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tbsp full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Mix everything in a bowl and let sit in fridge for at least an hour
- Roll into balls, with your thumb press down, add to a lined baking sheet, bake 350 for 8-10 minutes.
Pumpkin pie filling
- In food processors or a high powered blender process everything.
- Let sit in fridge while cookies cook.
- Once cookies cool, add 1 Tbsp of the pumpkin pie filling
- Drizzle with melted raw coconut butter