One of my favorites growing up were scalloped potatoes. And since I made a whole leg of lamb, I thought homemade scalloped potatoes would be the perfect side dish to go with our lamb. And I must say it was the best last minute decision I made.
Ingredients you will need:
- Chicken bone broth
- Tapioca flour
- Yellow onion
- Minced garlic
- Full fat coconut milk
- Fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese of choice
- Yukon gold potatoes
What if I want to make this dairy free?
To make these scalloped potatoes dairy free, is super simple. And here are the substitutes I would use to make these dairy free:
- For the ghee substitute olive oil or avocado oil
- For the shredded cheese, use your favorite dairy free cheese of choice (my personal favorite is Violife)
What if I don’t have tapioca flour?
No worries, if you don’t have tapioca flour, feel free to use arrowroot flour, cassava flour, almond flour, or regular flour.
Can this dish be made vegan?
Yes, it is super easy to turn this dish into a vegan dish.
- For the ghee substitute olive oil or avocado oil
- Shredded cheese, use your favorite plant based shredded cheese
- In place of the chicken bone broth use your favorite vegetable broth
How to prepare the creamy sauce:
Add ghee or oil to a large pan on medium heat and warm through (about 30 seconds). Add in the diced onions with salt + pepper, and sauté for about 5-6 minutes, or until translucent on medium heat. And then add in the minced garlic and cook for a minute or so, stirring throughout so it doesn’t burn. Add in the flour, mix, until incorporated. And then add in the coconut milk and broth, whisk to prevent any clumping, and cook until the sauce thickens up (about 2-3 minutes).
Slicing the potatoes:
If you are brave enough to use a medallion then use to thinly slice your peeled potatoes. But I personally, went with a sharp knife and sliced into thin slices.
Putting it all together:
Grease a casserole dish with ghee or oil (I used a 11×6 baking dish) and add an even layer with half of the potatoes. And then add 1/2 the creamy mixture to the top of the potatoes, along with 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Next, add the rest of the sliced potatoes into an even layer, add the rest of the creamy mixture, and top with shredded cheese, and fresh thyme.
Cover the casserole dish with foil (loosely so that the cheese doesn’t stick to the top of the foil) and bake 400°F for 30 minutes. And once done remove the foil and cook for another 20-25 minutes on 400°F. And if you are like me and like a nice crispy cheese, broil for 2-3 minute once done.
Can I meal prep this ahead of time?
Yes, this makes for the perfect prep ahead meal option. You can either prepare it all the night before and store in the refrigerator covered with foil, and the night you plan on enjoying bake. Or prep it all in advance and reheat in the oven the night you plan on enjoying.
What can I serve these with?
These scalloped potatoes make for the perfect side dish for a variety of meals. We had ours with some roasted lamb and it was such a yummy combination. But it also goes well with roasted chicken, pork, or salmon.
- 3 Tbsp ghee Dairy free option: substitute olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 cup chicken bone broth Vegan option: substitute vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour substitute arrowroot, cassava flour, almond flour, or all purpose flour
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1-2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 13.5 FL OZ full fat coconut milk substitute any type dairy free milk
- 3 Tbsp fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheese Dairy free and Vegan option: substitute a plant based cheese or nutritional yeast
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Grease a casserole dish (I used 11x6)
- Peel your potatoes, rinse with water, and carefully slice into thin rounds. But try to make them uninformed when slicing to help them cook evenly when baking. Set aside while you prep the creamy mixture
Cream sauce mixture:
- Add ghee or oil to a medium pan on medium heat and warm oil through (about 30 seconds)
- Add diced onions with salt and pepper and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the onions are translucent on medium heat stirring throughout
- Add in minced garlic and cook about 30 seconds-1 minute on medium heat, stirring throuhgout so it doesn't burn
- Add in flour and mix for a minute or so on medium heat
- Add broth, coconut milk, and whisk until a thick creamy sauce forms (about 3-4 minutes)
- Add in more salt and pepper and 2 Tbsp fresh chopped thyme, and mix
Putting together the casserole:
- Add an even layer of 1/2 of the sliced potatoes to greased casserole dish
- Add half of the cream mixture to the top of the potatoes and then 1/2 of the shredded cheese
- Add the rest of the potatoes into another even layer, add rest of cream mixture, top with cheese, and sprinkle 1 Tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- Cover with foil and bake 400°F for 30 minutes
- Remove foil after 30 minutes and cook for another 20-25 minutes on 400°F
- Broil for 1-2 minutes to get cheese nice and crispy
- Let rest for about 10 minutes before diving in