If there is french toast on the menu at restaurants while out having breakfast or brunch there is a guarantee I am going to order some. Because lets be honest you can’t do brunch without some sort of sweet dish in the mix right? Since there aren’t too many options here where I live, I always find myself recreating the things I am craving with ingredients I know and trust. Like this gluten free sourdough french toast.
What I used:
- Fresh gluten free sourdough bread
- Pasture raised eggs
- Refined sugar free (maple sugar and maple syrup)
- Fresh strawberries
- Coconut yogurt in place of whipped cream
- Almond milk
- Cinnamon + nutmeg
You are going to add everything except strawberries and maple syrup into a shallow dish and whisk. You want the dish to be shallow enough that you can dip your sourdough bread in to coat with the egg mixture. To make these extra tasty, I heated Fourth and Heart Vanilla Madagascar ghee to a pan and cooked french toast a couple minutes each side.
As far as toppings go, I added dairy free coconut yogurt, fresh strawberries, and maple syrup.
Gluten free Sourdough french toast:
- 4-5 slices gluten free sourdough bread
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp maple sugar optional
- ½ tbsp Fourth and Heart Vanilla madagascar ghee sub coconut oil
- Whisk your eggs, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple sugar in a shallow dish
- Dip 1 inch thick sourdough slices into the egg mixture
- Heat your pan with the ghee and cook your toast a couple minutes each side
- Top with coconut yogurt, strawberries, and maple syrup