Chocolate banana baked donuts:
These chocolate banana baked donuts are a great option if you have some ripe bananas waiting to be used. They are super easy to prepare, great for prepping ahead of time, and you can make them festive by using festive sprinkles based off holidays.
Ingredients you will need:
- Ripe bananas
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Sunflower butter (or any drippy nut butter)
- Cacao powder
- Baking soda
- Gluten free measure for measure flour ( I used this one)
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil spray or ghee spray (don’t use ghee if dairy free)
- Artisana Organics Coconut Cacao Bliss
- Pink and white sprinkles or any type of sprinkles based off upcoming holidays
Can I use wheat flour instead?
I have not tested this recipe with different flours. But since I used a measure for measure gluten free flour, any convectional flours you have, should work fine in this recipe. For example, all purpose flour, wheat flour, or any other gluten free measure for measure flours.
I don’t have any sunflower butter, what can I use instead?
I wanted to make this recipe nut free and that is why I chose sunflower butter. But if you don’t have a nut allergy, feel free to use your favorite drippy nut butter. If I had to choose I would go with cashew butter or almond butter.
What is an alternative for eggs?
Feel free too use flax “eggs” for this recipe or any other type of egg replacer you use. But bake time may need to be a bit longer.
1 flax egg = 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2-3 Tbsp water
How to prepare the batter:
Add the wet ingredients to a bowl and mix. And then add in the dry ingredients and mix. With a spoon, add about 1/4 cup of the batter to well greased donut pans. I use these silicone donut molds. And smooth down the batter into the donut molds.
Bake 350°F for 12-13 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. But if using flax “eggs” the bake time may need a little bit longer.
Let them rest:
And once the donuts are done baking, let them rest for 10 minutes in the donut molds. And carefully transfer to a wired rack and let rest for another 10-15 minutes.
Coating the donuts:
Once the donuts have cooled, melt the coconut cacao spread, and dip the top of the donuts. Place the donut on a wired wrack ( I put parchment paper underneath the wired rack so excess chocolate would dip on parchment) and sprinkle the top with sprinkles. And refrigerate for 10 minutes to allow the topping to set.
Can I meal prep these in advance?
Yes, these make for a great prep ahead breakfast option. And they are also freezer friendly, so freeze half the batch for another day you don’t have anything prepped.
How do I store?
I like to store mine in an airtight container in the refrigerator. And when I want to enjoy one, I eat them cold or at room temperature.
And if you are using Sunflower butter, don’t be alarmed if the inside looks green! This happens when baking with sunflower butter and baking soda. But it is totally safe and your donuts are not spoiled.
Check out these other donut recipes:
Chocolate Banana Donuts
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup drippy sunflower butter substitute any drippy nut/seed butter you like
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free measure for measure flour I used King Arthur flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Coconut oil spray
- 1 cup melted Artisana Organics Coconut Cacao Bliss substitute 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate and 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup festive sprinkles
Instructions for donuts:
- Mix wet ingredients
- Add in dry ingredients and mix
- Add to greased muffin tin
- Bake 350 F for 12-13 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Let rest for at least 10 minutes and remove from pan
- And let them cool completely
Instructions for coating donuts:
- Melt the Artisana Organics coconut cacao spread or chocolate
- Dip the top of the donut in the melted cacao mixture and place on a baking rack
- Sprinkle your festive sprinkles
- Transfer to refrigerator to allow the cacao spread to set (at least 10 minutes)
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer