Sweet potato muffins:
Have you tried baking with sweet potatoes? It is one of my favorites to use in baked goodies, especially in bread or muffins. They add a nice texture to the muffins and not to mention make the muffins taste amazing.
Ingredients you will need:
- Steamed Japanese sweet potatoes
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Crunchy almond butter
- Baking soda
- Flaxseed meal
- Cacao or cocoa powder
- Mini chocolate chips
Prep ahead steamed sweet potatoes:
I like to prep my steamed sweet potatoes ahead of time. And I like to use my Instant pot to steam my sweet potatoes. But if you don’t have an Instant pot, just steam however you steam your vegetables.
I peel my sweet potatoes, roughly chop, add 1 cup of water to Instant pot, add trivet, and set to steam for 5 minutes. And once it is done, quick release pressure, drain the water, and with an immersion blender or potato masher, mash it up. Let the sweet potatoes cool completely before using in recipe.
Preparing the muffin batter:
And once the sweet potatoes are cooled, add to a large bowl, with eggs, vanilla extract, crunchy almond butter, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and mix. Next, add in the flaxseed meal, cinnamon, baking soda, cacao powder, and mix. Fold in the mini chocolate chips and mix. Using a Tbsp ice cream scoop, scoop about 2 Tbsp of batter, and add to lined muffin tins (or fill about 3/4 of the way). And top with extra mini chocolate chips.
Preheat the oven to 350 F and once preheated, bake 350 F for 20-25 minutes. I like my muffins on the moist side and so I cooked mine for 20 minutes and let them sit in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wired cooling rack.
Meal prep ahead of time:
I like to prep a batch of these muffins for a quick breakfast option during the week. And they go perfectly with a homemade latte.
Once the muffins are cooled completely, I store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. But these muffins also freeze really well. And so if you don’t plan on eating the whole batch, store in the freezer for a morning you need something quick.
Flourless Sweet Potato Almond Butter Chocolate Muffins:
- 1 cup steamed Japanease sweet potatoes Used 2 large Japanese sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup Add another 1/4 cup if you want muffins on sweeter side
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crunchy almond butter substitute any nut or seed butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips + 2 Tbsp for topping
Prep sweet potatoes ahead:
- Peel and chop 2 large Japanese sweet potatoes
- I steamed my sweet potatoes in my Instant Pot with 1 cup of water, trivet, for 5 minutes. And once done I quick released pressure. If you don't have an Instant pot, steam however you steam vegetables.
- Drain the water
- And with an immersion blender or potato masher mash the potatoes up
- Whisk 3 eggs in a large bowl
- Add maple syrup, vanilla extract, cooled sweet potatoes, almond butter, and mix
- Add in cinnamon, baking soda, flaxseed meal, cacao powder, and mix
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Using a Tbsp ice cream scoop, Add 2 scoops to lined muffin tin or until 3/4 filled
- Top with extra mini chocolate chips
- Bake 350 F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (I did mine 20 minutes and let sit in muffin tin for 5 minutes before transferring to wired rack)
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator