Faux Twix Bars:
Homemade faux Twix bars is where it is at! Because they are super easy to prepare, taste delicious, and perfect for a freezer friendly snack or treat to have on hand.
First things first prep the date caramel. I always have a stash of this caramel in my refrigerator or freezer because it is a great addition to a variety of items. And it is perfect for prepping ahead of time.
Ingredients you will need for caramel:
- Medjool dates soaked over-night or at least 30 minutes in warm water
- Cashew Butter (substitute any nut or seed butter you like)
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
- Maple Syrup (optional if you want it extra sweet)
- Optional if you want thinner consistency: filtered water or some of the date water from soaking dates
Preparing the date caramel:
Add soaked medjool dates, cashew butter, coconut oil, vanilla extract, salt and optional maple syrup if using to a food processor. Process until a nice smooth consistency is created, about 30 seconds. And if you want it to be thinner consistency, add 1 Tbsp at a time of the reserved date water, process until you get desired consistency.
How do I store the leftover caramel?
This recipe makes a lot of date caramel. And to store the leftovers, add to an airtight glass container or jar, and keep in the refrigerator for up to a week or so (if it last that long). But if you want to make it last longer, stick it in the freezer for up to 2 months. And when ready to use just store in refrigerator overnight to allow it to soften and let sit at room temperature for an hour being using.
Ingredients for Twix bars:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Baking soda
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Homemade date caramel
- Hu Kitchen Dark Chocolate Gems ( use code: Melissa for 15% off) substitute any type of chocolate chips
- Coconut oil
- Optional: flaxseed meal
- Optional: flaky salt
How to prepare the cookie crust:
Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl, add to a lined 8×8 or 11×6 baking dish, and flatten out the cookie crust. And bake 350 F for 8-10 minutes. Once it is done baking let it cool completely.
Date caramel layer:
Once the cookie crust has cooled, add a thick layer of the date caramel on top, I did about a cup or so of the caramel. But I probably could have done a thicker layer to be honest. And then freeze for at least an hour to allow the date caramel to firm up.
Feel free to use whatever type of chocolate you dig for this recipe. My personal favorite, is Hu Kitchen dark chocolate gems. And you want to melt your chocolate with some coconut oil either over stove top or in the microwave. Add an even layer of chocolate on top of the caramel and refrigerate to allow the chocolate to harden.
Slicing into bars:
I have found that if I slice into the bars straight out of the freezer or refrigerator the chocolate tends to crack. And so I would suggest letting it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before slicing into bars. But also don’t stress, they will still taste amazing despite the chocolate cracking!
Faux Twix bars:
- 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal OPTIONAL
- 1 cup soaked medjool dates pits removed
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil not melted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate gems chocolate chips, or 1-2 chocolate bars of choice
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp flaky salt OPTIONAL
Cookie crust instructions:
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl
- Add to a lined 8x8 baking dish and flatten out into an even layer with a spoon or your fingers
- Bake 350 F for 8-10 minutes
- Let it cool completely once it’s done baking
Date caramel instructions:
- Soak your dates overnight in filtered water and drain water. Or if pressed for time soak in warm water for at least 30 minutes
- Add everything to food processor
- Process for 25-30 seconds or until you reach your desired consistency
- Add about 1 cup of date caramel to the cooled cookie crust and freeze for 1-2 hours
Chocolate layer instructions:
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil either over stove top or microwave
- Spread even layer on top
- Refrigerate to allow the chocolate to set (I let mine refrigerate for at least an hour)
- Let them sit at room temperature for a few minutes before slicing into bars