My latest breakfast idea for a breakfast on the go have been muffins. I am talking all the flavor combos you can possibly think of! But I must say, these chocolate sweet potato muffins with date caramel are by far my favorite combination I have created. These aren’t your average muffins, they are made with real ingredients, refined sugar free, grain free, and they even include some super foods!
- Step 1: Steam your japanese sweet potato in your instant pot on high pressure for 3-4 minutes and quick release of pressure. If you don’t have an instant pot you can steam however you typically steam your foods. Let cool completely before moving onto the next step.
- Step 2: Add all ingredients to a blender (except chocolate chips) and blend on low. If you don’t want to use a blender you can simple mix in a bowl.
- Step 3: Fold in chocolate chips, mix, and add 1/4 cup of batter to lined muffin tins.
- Step 4: Prepare your date caramel by adding all ingredients to a food processor or high powered blender and process for a few seconds.
- Step 5: Add 1 tbsp of the date caramel to each muffin and with a toothpick swirl the caramel around.
- Step 6: Top with more chocolate chips and bake 350 for 15-17 minutes
I store mine in an air tight container in the fridge and reheat for a couple minutes in the morning or I eat cold. They freeze well, so double the batch and save a batch in the freezer for those busy week’s you don’t feel like meal prepping.
Chocolate sweet potato muffins with a date caramel swirl
- 1 cup steamed sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup cacao magic
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup maple caramel almond butter sub any nut butter
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl add 1/4 cup of batter to a lined muffin tin, sprinkle some chocolate chips on top, bake 350 for 15-17 minutes.
- ***Optional add in: 1 tbsp of my homemade date caramel ***
- 1 cup soaked @datelady dates
- 1/4 cup @georgiagrinders cashew butter
- 1 heaping Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 cup of the date water from soaking the dates
- Add to food processor or blender and pulse for 10-12 seconds, scraping down the sides. Add 1 tbsp of date caramel on top of muffins and with a toothpick swirl the caramel.