For me breakfast potatoes scream the ultimate breakfast sidekick. I am team carbs ALLLL the way when it comes to breakfast items. And sometimes it can be difficult to get the extra crispy potatoes that restaurants serve, but I believe I have these crispy potatoes down.
Steaming potatoes first:
First I steamed my potatoes in my instant pot. I added about 1 cup of filtered water, the trivet, my chopped potatoes to instant pot, and set my instant pot to steam function for 3 minutes. Once they were done I did quick release of pressure and removed from the instant pot to cool.
Once the potatoes are cooled, I added some avocado oil, garlic powder, and my favorite seasoning from Primal Palate’s, meat and potato seasoning. But if you don’t have access to the meat and potato seasoning feel free to substitute around 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp of each of these seasonings: onion powder, paprika, oregano, pink sea salt, and pepper.
Cooking the potatoes in a cast iron skillet:
I added my ghee to the cast iron skillet and warmed the ghee. Then I added in my seasoned steamed potatoes, and topped with fresh thyme. There is just something about fresh herbs that make these breakfast potatoes taste 100%. I let them cook a few minutes each side before stirring. But be sure not to stir frequently because it won’t allow the potatoes to get crispy.
Broil in oven:
Once the potatoes have cooked in the cast iron skillet, carefully transfer to oven, and broil until they are nice and crispy. I cooked mine in my convection oven on 4oo degrees “broil” for 10 minutes, but every oven will vary in time and temperature, just be sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
Cooking in oven option:
I have also cooked them in the oven and they turn out just as crispy too. I skip the step of steaming and simply add potatoes to a lined baking sheet, seasoned with avocado oil, garlic powder, and Primal Palate’s meat and potato seasoning. Bake 425 F for 20-25 minutes and broil for 5 minutes, or until they reach my desired crispiness.
- 1 large yukon gold potato peeled and steamed Substitute 2-3 red potaotes or any type of potatoes you enjoy
- 1/2 Tbsp avocado oil If doing the baking method use 1 Tbsp of avocado oil
- 1 tbsp Fourth and Heart California ghee Substitute any type of oil you use or butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Primal Palate meat and potato seasoning Substitute: 1/2-1 tsp of each: paprika, oregano, pink sea salt, pepper, onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
Cast Iron Skillet
- Steam your chopped potatoes in instant pot on steam function with 1 cup water for 3 minutes and quick release pressure once done. You can also steam in a steamer basket or however else you steam vegetables.
- Add your ghee to a cast iron skillet and heat.
- Add steamed potatoes, seasoning, and thyme.
- Cook 3-4 minutes each side.
- Carefully transfer cast iron skillet to oven and broil until they get to your desired crispiness (keep an eye on them so they don't burn)
Baking in oven
- Add chopped potatoes seasoned with avocaodo oil and seasonings to a lined baking sheet
- Bake 425 F for 20-25 minutes
- Broil for 5 minutes or until you reach desired crispiness